Pet show to highlight Vet Med open house

David Lowe

There will be a little bit of everything for animal lovers Saturday at the College of Veterinary Medicine’s open house, one of Veishea’s most popular displays.

The fun and educational open house is organized by freshmen veterinary medicine students and will interest everyone of every age, said Cameron Schmitt, co-organizer of the open house.

“‘Building the Future through Remembering the Past’ is the vet med’s theme for this year’s Veishea, and examples of modern, as well as historical, pieces of equipment used by veterinarians [will be displayed],” said Beth Engelbert, co-organizer of the open house and freshman in veterinary medicine.

She said computer and video stations will be on display to provide visitors with a firsthand look at cutting-edge technology in the field of veterinary medicine.

“It really gives a visitor the opportunity to learn more about the vet med college,” said Aaron Lehmkuhl, co-organizer of the open house and freshman in veterinary medicine.

He said the open house also provides a chance to recruit potential veterinary medicine students through displays of the various aspects of the science.

The open house also offers recreational activities to Veishea-goers of all ages.

Planned activities include a stuffed animal hospital, dog shows and a petting zoo featuring lambs, goats, calves, turtles, rabbits, snakes, ducks, exotic birds and a miniature horse, Schmitt said.

“The little kids like the petting zoo, but there is something in it for all ages,” he said. “It is really educational, and it gives people a chance to see what the vet med college is all about.”

Last year’s addition of the stuffed animal hospital was a big success with children, said Schmitt, freshman in veterinary medicine.

Preschool and elementary children can bring in any stuffed animal in need of repair, and vet med students will be equipped with surgical thread, needles, stuffing and gauze to heal injuries, he said.

Schmitt said the pet show is scheduled to include an owner/pet look-a-like contest and other competitions in conjunction with the ISU Humane Society. There is a $3 entry free, and prizes will be awarded to the winners.

Dog lovers can enjoy two dog-agility demonstrations starting at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m., Schmitt said. The organizers also have included some displays to interest those looking to learn more about the field.

Organizers said they hope the College of Veterinary Medicine’s distance from central campus won’t deter visitors from stopping by.

“Main campus can tend to forget about us,” said Leah Braas, co-organizer of the open house and freshman in veterinary medicine. “I hope more people come out to see what we have to offer.”

The open house begins at 9 a.m., and display areas will be staffed until 5 p.m. Guided tours of the college and veterinary teaching hospital will be given hourly from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.