GSB execs announce cabinet nominees

Archana Chandrupatla

Government of the Student Body President-elect Matt Craft and Vice President-elect Garrett Toay announced Monday the 1999-2000 executive cabinet nominees.

The cabinet nominees and elected senators will be seated at Wednesday night’s GSB meeting.

“We have a nice mix of people returning from this year’s cabinet and new people,” Craft said. “We also have a good mix of all areas of campus life and a good mix of people I’ve worked with in the past and people I haven’t worked with yet.”

The cabinet nominees include Jeremy Williams for finance director; Heather Childs for chief of staff; David Roepke for assistant chief of staff; Scott Bersheid for human relations director; Adam Holt for recreation and intramural director; Jared McLaren and Barry Snell for technological information directors; Ann Maas for treasurer; Alison Storm for secretary; Jason Horek for public information director; Kevin Bell for minority affairs director; Zach Morrison for safety, traffic and transportation director; Eric Hagan for academic affairs director; and Carrie Seim for lectures, arts and entertainment director.

Craft said he and Toay are waiting to hear confirmation from the nominee for intergovernmental director.

“I am very happy with the quality of the people we have on cabinet,” Craft said.

Although he is pleased with the new cabinet, Toay said he had hoped more students would apply for positions.

“I am disappointed that the number of people who applied was so slim,” he said. “We had to contact people to see if they were interested in possibly applying.”

Toay said there are quite a bit of new faces on the cabinet.

“There’s a lot of turnover this year with GSB — a lot of people are graduating,” he said. “If we want to change the way students perceive GSB, we need to get some fresh blood in there.”

Although some of the nominees don’t have any GSB experience, Craft said he doesn’t foresee any problems.

“There are obviously good and bad points on it,” he said. “It will help people in some situations and hurt people in some situations. Either way, they’ll all be able to help each other.”

Toay said he wasn’t worried about the experience level either.

“Even if these people don’t have GSB experience, they have leadership experience on campus,” he said. “These people are qualified because they also have experience in their designated areas.”

The new cabinet members are expected to get down to business as soon as they are seated, Craft said.

“We plan to use a lot of the summertime to plan a lot of the events we want to do and lay out what we want to accomplish for the year,” he said.

To get better acquainted with the nominees, Craft said the new senate will have the opportunity to meet the cabinet before both groups are seated Wednesday.

Tonight at 7 p.m. in the Memorial Union, the senate and all students will have the chance to ask the nominees questions and find out what goals they have for the positions.

Toay said he is looking forward to working with the new cabinet.

“The previous cabinet did an excellent job, and now we have the opportunity to leave our mark as well,” he said.