Not all IRHA members happy with Master Plan

Kati Jividen

With millions of dollars of Master Plan renovations in the works, members of the Inter-Residence Hall Association are listening to their constituents’ concerns and feedback.

IRHA President Ben Chamberlain said the changes, while they may appear drastic to some residents, are necessary.

“Anyone who lives in the residence halls knows that something needs to be done,” said Chamberlain, senior in agricultural studies. “It is tough when your building gets closed, but it has to happen somewhere.”

Some IRHA members said they are disappointed that several of the residence halls will be closed or demolished, but they feel it needs to be done in preparation for the 21st century.

“The style and the way people live are changing, and this will help [the residence halls] keep up with everybody,” said Carrie Gofron, Union Drive Association at-large representative.

Kyle Jacobsen, Storms Hall representative, said the Master Plan will provide new and modern living facilities, as well as a community concept to create a sense of ownership to the hall for future students.

“Personally, I don’t like the living community idea, but that is the way most people like it,” said Jacobsen, sophomore in horticulture.

He said, however, that it is difficult to get current students excited about the plan when they most likely will not be around to witness its fruition.

“There is a lot of student apathy because [the Master Plan] is not going to affect the majority of the students here,” he said.

Chamberlain agreed with Jacobsen that present students will not get a chance to experience the new residence halls, unless they are moving into Maple Hall this fall.

“To be honest, 95 percent of the people living in Friley [Hall] will not be in the residence hall to see [the UDA renovations],” he said. “They don’t pay attention to it until they say they are tearing down a building.”

Gofron, sophomore in computer engineering, said the residents in Friley Hall have mixed feelings about the plan.

“Some are very nervous about what is going to happen to their house,” she said.

Some members of IRHA said they are pleased about the Department of Residence asking for the organization’s input.

“Surprisingly enough, the Department of Residence is looking at students’ needs a lot more than they are given credit for,” said Matt Craft, Richardson Court Association president and junior in political science. “It’s hard to find a balance between students’ needs and what is feasible.”

Chamberlain, who sat on the committee for the Hawthorn Court renovations, said Randy Alexander, director of the Department of Residence, always has asked for IRHA feedback.

“They have made some honest and active effort to get student input,” he said. “I think that as we go along on each project, they will try to get student input.”