Newspaper recycling sees success

Susan Macdonald

Though the verdict is not in as to whether the newspaper recycling program started earlier this semester will continue, Student Environmental Council (SEC) members say they have received positive feedback.

Six buildings on the Iowa State campus are now equipped to recycle newspapers as the result of the pilot program that began in February.

As part of the program, Fresh Aire Delivery, 216 N. Hazel Ave., is collecting newspapers from the buildings.

The selected locations are: Beardshear Hall, Bessey Hall, Carver Hall, Pearson Hall, Physics and Parks Library.

Julie Rule, member of the SEC, said previously there had been newspaper recycling only in the dorms.

Rule, undeclared freshman, said the sites were selected on the “basis of how many papers were distributed to each building.”

Amy Duin, recycling committee chairwoman for the council, said fire-safe recycling bins are located near the newspaper distribution sites in each of the six buildings.

After a year of planning, the SEC recycling committee proposed the idea to Warren Madden, vice president for Business and Finance. Madden approved funding for the four-month pilot program.

Duin, senior in political science, said the original plan was to start the program at the beginning of January and go through the end of the semester.

She said council members hope funding will allow the program to extend into the summer.

“We would like to expand to other buildings,” Duin said.

The final decision for the continuation of the program will be made by Madden.

Gloria Erickson, member of the SEC recycling committee, said Fresh Aire Delivery already had collected more than 3,000 pounds of newspaper as of March 30.

People in the buildings where the bins are located “have been really pleased with the program,” said Erickson, program assistant for Facilities Planning and Management.

Duin agreed that so far, the project is a success.

“We’ve had feedback from many professors, and they think the program is a positive thing,” she said.

The only complaint is that the bins are not big enough, she said. If the pilot program is continued, Duin said the purchase of larger bins may be needed.

Duin said the council is working on a survey to find out what students think about the program and if they have any suggestions.

The surveys will be distributed in lecture halls and classrooms in each of the six buildings.