GSB presidential candidates face off

Archana Chandrupatla

Government of the Student Body presidential candidates took another step in their election campaigns by addressing their platforms in a debate Tuesday afternoon at the Memorial Union.

The two candidates, Matt Craft and Ben Studenski, faced questions on a variety of student issues.

Topics for discussion included student fees, tuition, specialty seats and diversity at Iowa State.

Studenski, senior in industrial engineering, is running with Chris Robert, sophomore in computer engineering, as his vice presidential candidate.

Studenski said he believes GSB needs to take a new approach toward diversity.

“The issue needs to be focused on by GSB in a different way than it has been in the past,” he said.

Craft, junior in political science, with running mate Garrett Toay, junior in agricultural business, said part of their platform regarding diversity will be to advocate the implementation of a new multicultural center.

“Iowa is not a very diverse place, and I would like to see a multicultural center on campus,” Craft said.

“It would help to educate students and help to maintain retention rates of minority students. We would also like to bring back a director of Minority Affairs to the cabinet,” he said.

Both Craft and Studenski also addressed decreasing student involvement in GSB.

Craft said he and Toay are considering tackling the issue through a new call-in radio show on ISU’s student-run radio station KURE 88.5 FM and by expanding the GSB Web page.

“We also would like to set up a town forum-type activity,” Craft said.

“That way if students have questions we can address them, and it will present an opportunity for more students to take part in GSB at their own leisure,” he said.

Studenski said he and Robert also plan to improve the GSB Web page and to make themselves more accessible to students.

“It is true that GSB is criticized a lot,” Studenski said. “A lot of students are apathetic, and that’s because GSB is not focusing on issues that are of concern to students.”

The most debate and audience participation rose from the issues of specialty seats and student fees.

Studenski said he and Robert would like to set up a positive check-off system in regards to student fees so students could decide what organizations should receive funding.

“We want to change the student fees structure to comply with the Iowa law,” Studenski said. “We mostly want to deal with student fees that go to political or ideological organizations.”

Craft said he and Toay don’t plan to change student fees at all.

“There doesn’t seem to be any outcry from the average student about this issue,” Craft said.

“As far as a positive check-off system, I do have a problem with that because I think there is a big problem of students not being as informed regarding what organizations should receive funding,” he said.

The two candidates also disagreed on how to deal with the controversial specialty seats on GSB senate.

Studenski said specialty seats should be removed.

“Those should not be areas that students are separated on,” he said. “If new communities are to be created, they should be created based on academics and other factors and not what students have no control over.”

However, Craft expressed opposing ideas.

“We need a voice for these students, and these seats were created to give them that voice,” he said.

“For a lot of students, their only voice is through their international, minority or disabilities senator,” Craft said.

Both candidates also were asked what they would consider most important if elected.

Craft said he wants to double voter turnout in next year’s elections.

“If elected, we want to double the amount of voter turnout next year because that will be the result of GSB taking a more active role and being more involved with students,” he said.

Studenski said he wants to tackle the special projects account and refund unused student fees.

In closing, Craft said he urges students to get out there and vote.

“I realize that Garrett and I aren’t going to be the choice for everyone out there, and neither are Ben and Chris,” he said.

“But I would urge students to go ahead and pick the candidate best for them and go out and vote,” Craft said.

Studenski said he is looking forward to a clean race.

“From the debate, it is pretty clear that Craft and I do disagree on certain issues, but this is a clean campaign, and you won’t see any mud-slinging towards anybody,” he said.

“Either way, it will be a better GSB next year,” Studenski said.