Gaffer’s Guild searches for new home

Kati Jividen

The demolition of the Engineering Research Institute, Exhibit Hall and the Engineering Annex has caused some complications for Iowa State’s “Gaffer’s Guild,” the artistic glass-blowing club.

The demolition is Phase Two of the College of Engineering’s latest project.

ISU’s Gaffer’s Guild, which is located in 101 Engineering Annex, was asked to move to a new laboratory located in Sweeney Hall.

The cost of the move will total $134,000.

“The College of Engineering offered us $65,000 to move to the next building,” said Steve Martin, adviser of the club. “We would like the College of Engineering to fund all of the move, but they are doing the best that they can, and we are thankful.”

Aside from obtaining money from the College of Engineering, the club also submitted a proposal to the Government of the Student Body to help raise the remaining funds.

“I went to the [GSB] meetings, answered questions and made a tour and demonstration [available] to the senators, so they could see what it was before they spent the school’s money,” said Angela Bisanti, vice president of the club. “We want them to see why it is important.”

The proposal submitted to GSB by Bisanti, freshman in English, and Ricky Cordaro, freshman in pre-electrical engineering, resulted in $12,310 being allocated to help the club with the moving expense.

“This is the first time in recent years that they have funded us because we don’t ask for money every semester,” she said. “We have material donated or we sell our pieces to get money.”

In addition to moving expenses, the club will have to renovate its new shop in Sweeney Hall and buy a new furnace.

Currently, the club has two furnaces — one called “Popocatepetl,” named after an active volcano in Chile, and the other is “Hephaestus,” named after the Greek god of fire.

“One of the furnaces will be moved, and the other will be rebuilt because the glass is corrosive, and it is eating away at the bricks,” Bisanti said. “We are also planning on having two benches so two people can be blowing glass with their assistant at the same time.”

It is against club rules and safety guidelines for members to blow glass alone, and the laboratory only holds one glass-blowing bench at this time.

Aside from funding from the college and GSB, the club also is planning events to raise the remaining $57,000.

“We are planning on holding a sale during Veishea,” Bisanti said. “Last year during Veishea, over 1,000 people came to see one of our 10 demonstrations.”

Martin said glass-blowing is a “big” event at Veishea.

However, Bisanti said it is going to be tough raising enough money to move the shop.

Currently, the club has about 30 members. New members are not being accepted this semester, but Bisanti said the club does offer tours to interested persons who can submit membership applications for next fall.

“We can only take as many members as we can teach, and right now we wouldn’t be able to accommodate any new members,” Bisanti said. “You have to be taught how to blow glass. It is really a learning process.”