Many faculty members celebrate Black History Month in class and out

Hannah Zahs

Many Iowa State faculty and staff members recognize February, Black History Month, as a time to celebrate the achievements and contributions of African Americans.

ISU President Martin Jischke said the observance of African American accomplishments and culture is what makes society strong.

“The month of celebration reminds me of the richness of the diversity of America,” he said.

Virginia Molgaard, associate professor of human development and family studies, said for her, Black History Month is a time to reflect.

“I think back to the Civil Rights Movement of the ’50s and ’60s,” she said. “I think about all the changes that have taken place, and the strengths of African Americans.”

February was designated Black History Month in 1976, 50 years after the beginning of Negro History Week in 1926.

It also coincides with the birthdays of leaders Frederick Douglass (Feb. 14) and Abraham Lincoln (Feb. 12).

African American studies professor Herman Blake said he has been celebrating black history his entire life.

“The month of February designates a time to heighten the awareness of the American society of the major role African Americans have played in creating the nation,” he said.

Blake said African Americans have made numerous contributions in the fields of “leadership, science and entrepreneurship, to education, social services and politics.”

Other professors are making a conscious effort to become educated about black history.

Jan Duffy, instructor of accounting, said she “plans to spend the month learning more about the contributions of African Americans by reading and listening to campus speakers.”

Education, Blake said, is the key.

“People interested in becoming more knowledgeable about history will take the time to learn how African American culture plays a part in building America,” he said.