Students smell success for new meal plan

Kati Jividen

The recent proposal for a single food service provider on campus has sparked an interest in students as they ponder the possibility of substituting McDonald’s for food service fare.

“The [proposed] meal plan is a good idea because food service isn’t that great,” said Kelly Conklin, sophomore in early childhood education and resident of Larch Hall. “At the [Memorial Union], you can go to Subway or McDonald’s, and I think that food is better.”

The meal plan, which was proposed by Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill and Vice President for Business and Finance Warren Madden, recommends combining the separate food services into one university-wide provider.

“The concept is that a student who purchases a meal plan can use it in a variety of places, including vending,” Hill said.

Hill said there are at least two food providers, the Memorial Union and the Department of Residence, currently on campus.

“Consolidation of the food service on campus will supply better service, quality, flexibility and variety,” he said. “It is primarily for students but [also] for the campus and community as whole.”

Some students said a new system would be convenient.

“A lot of us work, and we don’t get a chance to eat the meals that we’ve pre-paid for,” said Weston Dittmer, junior in agronomy and resident of Welch Hall. “It works to our advantage because people have classes at crazy hours, and the MU is open all day long, and you can go there whenever your schedule permits.”

Anne Miller, freshman in pre-architecture and resident of Helser Hall, said if the plan can be put into operation, it would be beneficial to students’ pocketbooks.

“I think it would help students save money,” she said. “I think that it would be great if they opened [the plan] to the Design Cafe because it would be an additional location on campus.”

Some students have questions about the proposed plan, such as “Would there be certain meals you have to eat?” and “Would there be a flat rate students would be required to pay?”

“I think it would be best if you had your meal plan, you ate whatever you wanted and they charged you at the end of the semester or put it on your U-Bill,” said Kyle Jensen, junior in agronomy and resident of Welch Hall.

Jensen said he would like to see “better quality food and more of a meat selection” in a revamped food system.

“It would be nice to get a steak every once in a while,” he said.

Another suggested feature that could benefit students is the ability to dine with those who live off campus or in the greek system.

“I think that bringing a friend, who is not on a meal plan, is neat because my boyfriend came to eat, and it was a hassle bringing money for him,” said Megan Lindberg, undecided sophomore and resident of Larch Hall.

Although most students feel the meal plan is a great idea, some students are not so optimistic about the proposal.

“I like [the plan], but I don’t know if [ISU President Martin Jischke] will go for it,” said Paul Heil, freshman in computer engineering and resident of Linden Hall. “The money that we would normally spend on meals that we don’t eat, the school won’t get, and that could be a problem.”

Ben Chamberlain, president of the Inter-Residence Hall Association, said currently the money from food service goes into a general department of residence fund, and loss of money may affect the room rates.

“Food service helps subsidize the room rates to a small extent, and [the loss of money] may cause the room rates to go higher or lower,” said Chamberlain, senior in agricultural studies. “I don’t know exactly how it will affect it, but that is a possible concern I can see.”

Although the meal plan is only a proposal at this time, Hill said he hopes Jischke will make a decision on it by the end of the semester.