GSB executives fund student organizations with tuition money

Archana Chandrupatla

Many student groups requesting funding from the Government of the Student Body don’t receive every dollar they ask for, but this year, GSB President Bryan Burkhardt and Vice President Jamal White have set aside some of their own money in a George Washington Carver special projects account to assist groups with worthy causes.

At the last GSB meeting, a bill seeking funding for the Panhellenic Council’s upcoming conference trip to Chicago was ruled out of order. But the group may be able to obtain funding from GSB through the GWC fund.

The GWC special funding account consists of tuition money Burkhardt and White did not need because of scholarships.

Burkhardt said he suggested looking into funding the group this way because he felt the trip would benefit the Iowa State community.

“It is our intention to fund the Panhellenic Council,” he said.

Burkhardt and White met with members of the council to make sure they understood why the bill was ruled out of order but also to discuss possible funding.

“We feel this opportunity for the council was one that fit into the intentions of the special projects fund account,” Burkhardt said. “We feel that they will be able to bring back a lot to the university.”

He said the creation of the GWC fund has caused some changes this year.

“In most cases, executives are not in a position to give up their tuition,” Burkhardt said. “But this year, we have a yearlong celebration in which we can try to provide students with different opportunities.”

White said the fund was set up with the consent of the senate.

“At the second meeting of the fall semester, the senate voted on the creation of a GWC account and passed it, allowing us to transfer our tuition money into that account,” he said. “Also, any unused funds [from the regular allocation process] transfer into that account.”

Burkhardt said there should be no reason for resentment on the part of other student groups who do not receive funds.

“Student groups have to understand that GSB cannot fund all requests,” he said. “[The Panhellenic Council] did convey to us how important it is for them to attend the conference, and after examining the situation, we felt that it was important enough for us to look for other avenues to fund them.”

White said senators should not have qualms about groups being funded with the GWC money.

“If people do have problems with this, they should take the time to address us, and often they don’t,” he said.

Maria Miller, director of public relations for the Panhellenic Council, said members of the council are happy they received funding in this alternate manner.

“I think it’s neat that they are willing to help us and going to these lengths,” she said. “A lot of times the greek system is seen as being separate from the university, which causes a lot of friction.”

The GWC account also provided funding for an upcoming honors seminar on the legacy of George Washington Carver. The honors group will be going to Carver’s birthplace in Diamond Grove, Mo., March 5-7 to attend the seminar.

Harold McNabb, professor of forestry, who teaches the seminar, said he appreciated Burkhardt’s and White’s efforts.

“The president of GSB asked me how we were going to support the trip, and I told them that I had received funding from other sources, but I still needed funding to provide for lodging for the students,” McNabb said.

“He said that if I would submit a budget, then he would look into whether or not the trip could be funded through the GSB account,” he said.

McNabb said he feels the creation of the fund was an excellent idea.

“I think this is great, and it’s one of the best things that I feel was done,” he said. “Small amounts like this are very helpful.”