Siberia native enhances ISU’s growing Russian Studies major

Jenny Barlow

Iowa State’s Russian studies program has increased in strength and numbers since the arrival of its new professor, Tatiana Spektor.

“Tatiana rescued a program that was in serious trouble and has outstanding performance in teaching, research and outreach programs,” said James Dow, professor of German.

Spektor’s term at ISU began in the fall of 1997 after she earned her doctorate in Russian literature from the University of Kansas.

“When I arrived in the U.S., I realized I needed to get a degree from a U.S. institution because I couldn’t find work with my degrees I received in Russia,” Spektor said.

A native of Siberia, Spektor earned an undergraduate degree and a doctorate in linguistics while in Moscow before she immigrated to the United States in 1991.

Spektor currently is on a three-year term and is seeking to apply for another two-year term at the university.

“ISU is lucky to have her,” Dow said. “It is a crime of this university that Dr. Spektor is not on a tenure track.”

Since her arrival, the enrollment in Russian studies classes has increased considerably. The program is similar in size to the German department in terms of the number of students enrolled, but the Russian program has only Spektor and one part-time professor teaching.

“Tatiana’s influence has caused enrollment in the program to really explode and has opened up opportunities to a lot of people,” said Courtney Padgitt, senior in Russian studies and business.

The Russian studies major includes nine credits of required classes and 21 credits of Russian-based electives.

“When I first arrived at ISU, the existing program was very traditional and concentrated entirely on the language and literature,” Spektor said. “Now it includes many courses on Russian culture from classes in political science, religion, history and other interdisciplinary courses.

“The program has the advantage of being very flexible for students who like to decide for themselves what they want to focus on,” she said.

Last summer, Spektor traveled to Moscow with a group of 14 students on a study abroad program she created. The students studied for six weeks and covered one full traditional year of language studies, earning participants eight credits.

“My language skills became phenomenally better in those six weeks,” Padgitt said. “It was unbelievable how much I learned in that amount of time and then had six weeks left of summer when I returned.”

Other students who went on the trip also felt it was a rewarding experience.

“During our time in Moscow, Tatiana did her job as a teacher but went even further,” said Alison Shutte, sophomore in Russian studies. “She acted as a mother and taught us a lot about life and took care of us like a mother.”

This summer, another study abroad program with Spektor will take students to St. Petersburg, Russia. This trip also is six weeks long and will cover language skills and cultural excursions.

Herzen University in St. Petersburg will host the ISU students from May 16 through June 25.

“This is an excellent study abroad opportunity not just for Russian students, but for anyone who wants to get away, explore the world and earn credits and fulfill general education requirements,” Padgitt said.

The cost of the trip is about $2,000, and the registration deadline is this week. Students can call the Study Abroad Center for more information.

“Tatiana will do anything to help the program or her students,” Shutte said. “She is available 24 hours a day for us, and you inevitably develop a very close relationship with her.”