ISU, Tuskegee exchange students in honor of Carver

Jenny Barlow

Representatives from Iowa State and Tuskegee University in Tuskegee, Ala., are hoping a student exchange in honor of the yearlong George Washington Carver celebration will create a stronger relationship between the two schools.

“The program was presented first semester by the academic subcommittee of the Carver All University Celebration,” said Steve Jones, communications specialist for ISU News Service.

Carver was ISU’s first African-American student and faculty member and served on the faculties of both ISU and Tuskegee University after earning two degrees from Iowa State in 1894 and 1896.

The first planned exchange will involve agriculture students, but the program will soon broaden to include many other majors, Jones said.

Over spring break, a few ISU students will visit Tuskegee University to explore the campus, attend classes and stay in the residence halls.

“Approximately four students from Tuskegee will visit ISU during Veishea to experience a similar exchange,” said Phyllis Harris, exchange committee member and graduate student in human development and family studies.

“The goal is to strengthen the relationship between the universities, learn from each other and possibly promote ISU’s graduate studies,” she said. “When the students return, they will bring information about Tuskegee and give presentations.”

Jones said he hopes the first batch of students to visit Alabama will gather more solid information about Tuskegee University and the experience students can have there.

“Although the program is still in the works, any student, student group or organization pursuing an exchange with Tuskegee has the opportunity to do so,” he said.

Harris said many of Tuskegee University’s programs and characteristics are similar to those of ISU.

“Tuskegee has strong agriculture and veterinary programs and seems to have strengths along the lines of ISU,” she said.

Some student organizations that have shown interest in the program include the ISU chapter of Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences and the Agriculture Student Council.

“At this point, the program has much potential to grow due to the interest and support of the university,” Harris said. “Given time, I see a very positive relationship coming from the exchange.”