Jischke discusses Veishea with GSB

Archana Chandrupatla

Iowa State President Martin Jischke addressed the university administration’s take on Veishea 1999 in a presentation Wednesday night before the Government of the Student Body.

GSB invited Jischke to speak before the senate about the administration’s goals and policies concerning Veishea and the alcohol-free pledge various student groups were asked to take.

Jischke said he was very interested in continuing an alcohol-free and safe Veishea.

“I want Veishea to continue because it provides great fun and entertainment for people,” he said. “I also believe the actions that led up to Veishea last year and its consequent success shows that people are committed to the event.”

Jischke said alcohol is not an option for Veishea.

“Either Veishea continues as an alcohol-free and safe event or it cannot continue as a university-authorized event,” he said.

However, Jischke said he understood not all students see things his way.

“I realize that not everyone agrees with my position on the pledge, which is why I strongly encourage discussion on the subject,” he said. “Students need to voice their views.”

Some senators took advantage of Jischke’s invitation to express their concerns about the administration’s policies.

Wendy Applequist, GSS, was among the senators who shared their views.

“Some of my graduate constituents were offended by last year’s Veishea alcohol policy,” she said. “There were some adult students and married students who were instructed not to consume alcohol.”

Yasmin Blackburn, minorities, also said it was unfair to ask students of legal age not to drink.

“I disagree with the administration’s approach,” she said. “I am 23 years old, and for someone to tell me I can’t drink is absurd.

“I’m not a drinker, so it doesn’t upset me personally, but it still seems unfair to tell someone who is 40, 50 or 60 that they can’t drink here for one day when they can legally drink anywhere in the country on the same day,” she said.

Wendell Moseby, FCS senator, said he didn’t like the way Veishea turned out last year.

“I thought Veishea last year sucked,” he said. “I was [a resident assistant] in Larch Hall, and there were three RAs on duty Veishea weekend. We had to make rounds every 30 minutes for 24 hours, which I thought was absurd.”

However, Moseby said he believed there were some good points to Veishea.

“It was cool that Jischke and other administrators also abstained from alcohol along with the students,” he said. “Him being president, he had to do what was in the best interest of the university, and he did a pretty good job with that.”

Moseby also said students need to realize the university’s perspective on Veishea.

“As students, we fail to realize the university perspective on it. The university does have to look out for itself, and I think a lot of students fail to realize that when they say the Veishea pledge sucks,” he said.

Jischke said one of the goals of the administration is to change people’s attitudes and expectations about Veishea.

“Around Iowa, people think Veishea is just a big drunken event,” he said. “It will take us a while to change that expectation and viewpoint.”

Jischke said it will take a cooperative effort by the community and the university to change Veishea’s image. He also stressed the need for student participation.

“To be able to change this expectation and community attitude of Veishea, it has to start with us,” Jischke said. “The deepest issue here has to do with a community problem that has to be solved, and all of us have participate in the solution.”