Don’t like it? Move to Cuba, comrade!

Seth Bokelman

I’ve been an RA at Towers for nearly three years.

However, I do not represent the views, opinions or policies of the Department of Residence.

I feel the need to comment on two issues recently mentioned in the Daily concerning the future of ISU’s residence halls.

On the views of those who feel it would be wrong for ISU to charge more for rooms in the newly renovated Maple Hall: some construe it as unfair for students who could afford to pay premium amounts to have nicer housing.

Well, in the “real world” people with the most money have the nicest homes.

Renovating Maple Hall costs several million dollars, and it would be most fair to fund a portion of that directly with the “rent” of those who will live in those rooms in the future.

It would certainly not be fair to raise the price of everyone’s room and board so that a few could live in Maple at the same price as everyone else, nor would it be practical to not charge a premium for those newly renovated rooms.

This is how capitalism works, the Department of Residence must approach the mission of housing ISU students like any business. Don’t like it? Move to Cuba.

The idea of charging different amounts for rooms at ISU is not a new one.

Students who can afford it pay several hundred dollars more per semester for a “Double-As-Single,” or for air-conditioned rooms.

This is completely fair because those spaces cost the department more.

None of these measures have caused a noticeable rift to form between “rich” students and “poor” ones, and I doubt that providing nicer rooms to those who are willing and able to pay the additional amount for them will either.

While I certainly have enjoyed my experiences, the fact that many of our beloved buildings are in poor physical condition needs to be addressed, and it isn’t feasible to renovate every one of them.

Nobody wants their dear old building torn down, but to remain viable, the department should offer housing options that attract students.

It’s not practical to turn the Towers into apartment buildings.

In short, apply the rules that govern businesses to the Department of Residence, and you may see that while the forthcoming changes that relate to “The Master Plan” may not be popular with everyone, they are necessary steps that must be taken to ensure that ten or twenty years from now, Iowa State will have attractive residence halls that are in good repair and will make people WANT to live in them.

Seth Bokelman

Senior

Psychology