Hub reopening attracts diverse crowd and positive reactions

Kennedy DeRaedt/Iowa State Daily

ISU Dining held an open house on Jan. 10 to show the new features to the Hub, including the Roasterie coffee café and Heaping Plato Mediterranean food. Attendees saw the new renovated space and were able to sample menu items.

Meg Grice

After extended renovations and demolition to one of Iowa State’s grab-and-go dining locations, the Hub is not only garnering diverse food experiences but also varying points of opinion from students.

Adison Mixdorf, a sophomore in architecture, remembers the past location as very crowded.

“There were good options, but it was always so busy,” Mixdorf said.

She enjoys the pita bread from the Heaping Plato the most and chose to purchase her favorite item during the lunch hour. Mixdorf said the price range is not too expensive, adding to the appeal for students.

Also praising the new updates, Jordan Davis, a sophomore in history, said she loves the modern atmosphere.

“I was super surprised because they took so long,” Davis said.

The final product seems worth it to her, though.

Going along with the reopening, Davis went for the Middle Eastern options available at the Heaping Plato as well, as she had not previously experienced the cuisine at this location. Davis commented on the cleanliness and increased seating inside, saying how latest updates give off a fresh, upscale vibe with a nicer color scheme. However she said even more seating could be added, particularly to assist with lunch hour rushes.

While Chaz Smith does not typically order off the menu, the Hub serves as a break between classes. Smith, a junior studying software engineering, enjoys the open atmosphere and layout. Though he dined at the location years prior to the updates, additional seating space is a plus for him.

“It’s more structured, so there’s better traffic control,” Smith said.

Noticing the crowded environment due to the excitement of renewal, Smith recommends the Hub as a quick stop, particularly for those in need of a quiet location.

For either sit-down or to-go dining, the Hub is open 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Friday.