Veishea committee starts planning, awaits OK

Hannah Zahs

Although Iowa State President Martin Jischke has not yet given his final “OK” to Veishea 1999, planning committees are already working on next year’s celebration.

Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill said students deserve another Veishea after the success of last year’s festivities.

“I was very impressed. But the planning committees do need to be cautious since the official say has not yet been given,” Hill said.

Following the precedent set last year, the committees are planning the event as an alcohol-free weekend.

“This way, people see what Veishea really is and what a tradition it is for Iowa State,” said Aimee Lee, co-chairwoman for Veishea 1999. “It’s not just the ‘unofficial Veishea’ it has been in years past.”

Lee said universities across the nation have been calling ISU for advice on how to make their own student-run festivals alcohol-free after the success of last year’s Veishea.

Part of the success of the turnaround came from the “Veishea Pledge.”

Students who sign the Veishea Pledge promise not to consume alcohol during Veishea weekend.

Pledging not to consume alcohol, however, is not the only way students can get involved in Veishea 1999.

“We want students to apply for committees,” said Lee, senior in public service and administration in agriculture.

Students can still apply to be a Veishea Aide, Parade Aide or Stars Over Veishea Aide, or be on Peer Security or the Party Response Team.

For more information, students can call the Veishea office at 294-1026, Lee said.

“We encourage students to give suggestions,” Lee said. “We want students to tell us what they want to see, not just complain and then leave for the weekend.”

Lee said suggestions should be given in the West Student Office space, located in the basement of the Memorial Union, since specific events for Veishea 1999 have not yet been planned.

“We will be planning events that students hopefully will not leave for and that can be fun without alcohol,” Lee said.

“We really want students to have fun and get involved during Veishea and bring out the things that people don’t know about Iowa State,” Lee said.