GSB rejects funding bill for ag club

Archana Chandrupatla

Some Iowa State students consider the Government of the Student Body a bank for funding organizations’ trips and activities. This year’s senate made its first move to combat that reputation by ruling a funding bill out of order.

The only new business read at the meeting was a funding bill written by Jeremy Davis, off campus, requesting a $500 allocation from GSB to finance a trip for the Agricultural Education Club.

The bill was eventually ruled out of order by Jamal White, GSB vice president, because it did not contain a full budget, a requirement of funding bills listed in the new GSB bylaws.

“The bill was challenged because Senator [Mike] Pogge said that the club had no unforeseeable circumstance that prevented them from raising money, and because there wasn’t, he motioned for the bill to be ruled out of order,” White said.

Spokespersons for the Agricultural Education Club said alternate funding was not available because the entire group was out of Ames during the summer and unable to organize a fund-raising effort.

White denied the first motion to rule the bill out of order and allowed debate to continue over the bill. White did, however, rule in favor of the second motion to take it off the agenda.

“The second motion was pretty cut and dry,” White said. “You have to have a full budget presented on the bill, as is written in the new bylaws, so GSB can know what exactly the money is going towards.

“If a group is traveling somewhere, some things are not covered [by GSB], such as food, souvenirs and entertainment. However, the senators do need to know how much is being used for things like mileage, gas, lodging and et cetera,” he said.

White said organizations should not rely on GSB funding alone.

“It’s best for groups to also seek funding from other sources,” he said. “It’s a good idea for the senate to know that they are looking into other means to fund the trip.”

GSB President Bryan Burkhardt said he supported White’s decision.

“We understand that not all groups are going to leave the senate meeting happy,” Burkhardt said. “However, we want them to understand that GSB is often supportive of their endeavors, and we try to help them in any way we can. We also want them to understand that because of the rules by which we must abide, we can’t always help them the way they request.”

Both Burkhardt and White said if the group comes back next week with a complete bill, including a full budget, the bill can be put back onto the agenda as new business and will be discussed.

All of the unfinished business bills on Wednesday’s agenda were seating bills.

The senate seated the new cabinet and finance committee for the 1998-99 school year, each with a vote of 26-0.

Pogge was also seated as an LAS senator.

Burkhardt said he is glad the cabinet and finance committee have finally been seated.

“I’m thrilled that we can get down to business,” he said. “Jamal and I have a lot of goals we set for this year, and now the cabinet can assist us in carrying out those goals.”

Burkhardt, White and GSB Chief of Staff Kate Kjergaard were responsible for choosing cabinet members. Finance committee members were picked by Jeremy Williams, GSB finance director.

“I think Jeremy picked an effective committee,” Burkhardt said. “They have numerous years of experience and will do the student body a good service.”

Burkhardt said he is looking forward to working with the new finance committee and cabinet.

“I think we’ve got some really committed people,” he said. “They are chomping at the bit to get things going, and we are really excited. They will bring a lot of fresh ideas this year.”

White also expressed his enthusiasm over the new cabinet and committee.

“I am happy with the people who were selected for the cabinet and finance committee, and I’m glad the bills went through without a problem,” White said.

Marcia Johnson, off-campus senator and speaker of the senate, said she also was glad the bills passed.

“Bryan and Jamal worked really hard this year to seat a cabinet so things could get done,” she said.

Johnson also said she hopes there will not be a repeat of last year’s troubles, when some cabinet members resigned or had to be removed before the end of their term.

White said that should not be an issue.

“I don’t fear that a problem like that will happen,” he said. “We made sure to have a commitment from the people being interviewed, and we made sure their intention was to remain throughout the school year.”