Dance Marathon: The final number revealed

Ryan Pattee/Iowa State Daily

Dance Marathon participants hold up signs indicating the total amount raised at 2019’s Dance Marathon event, $380,281.22.

Alexis Myszka

The Memorial Union was a buzz of music, laughter and hope as Dance Marathon took over the Great Hall on Saturday.

Dance Marathon is the biggest student run philanthropy on campus, raising money for the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital and Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

2019 marked 22 years of Iowa State students putting their time, energy and money into throwing a 15-hour party for the kids and their families who have spent time at those hospitals. 

“This day has been a lot of fun and it’s kind of tiring but also very energizing at other times, it all balances out. It’s a good experience,” said Melissa Irish, sophomore in animal ecology and first time Dance Marathon dancer.

The atmosphere of the room was hopeful and uplifting as students shared with each other their favorite moments of the day. 

“I got to meet one of [the kids] today, his name was Noland. I was dressed as Curious George and his face was just awesome, I’m definitely coming back next year,” said Jericho Baker, a junior in english and first time Dance Marathon dancer.

Students are attracted to the event for individual reasons, all working towards that common goal of fundraising for the kids.

“I decided to participate because I have had family friends impacted by childhood diseases and I’ve seen the good that Iowa State Dance Marathon does in supporting them, especially with the University of Iowa Hospital,” said Andrew Peterson, senior in software engineering.

To end the evening, the Dance Marathon executive team all stepped on to the stage holding pieces of paper to reveal the amount of money fundraised for this year. 

The executive team raised the numbers to reveal the final amount: Dance Marathon raised a total of $380,281.22.

“In the end we didn’t really set a number goal, we just wanted to make as many miracles as we could and I am just astonished by the number and just so proud of all our team,” said Sarah Longmire, the Dance Marathon development and campus outreach co-director and a junior in industrial engineering.

Dancers exchanged hugs and congratulatory remarks before heading out into the cold air with thoughts of next year’s fundraiser already in mind.

“I’m definitely going to be back next year. It was so fun; to see the little things that this organization does for the families is unreal, things that you don’t even think about like video games to keep them entertained and stuff like that,” said Sammy Patterson, a sophomore in apparel, merchandising and design.

After a long day of dancing, making new friends and spending time with the kids, students could go home knowing that they had made an impact in a child’s life.

“Today was awesome, it was such a joyful event and just seeing so many people give their own time, effort and money to give help to others is pretty incredible,” Peterson said.