Art educators benefit campus

Laurie Wiedenhoff

The Art Educators Club is rejuvenated this year and looking for students interested in art.

The club has been around for a long time but has not planned any activities in quite a while, said Art Educators Club President Tasha Roggow.

Roggow said the main goal this semester is “to organize lectures, workshops and a group trip to Chicago or New York.” She also wants people to be aware of art education at Iowa State.

Barbara Caldwell, professor of art education and club adviser, said field trips are a valuable learning experience.

“Field trips are important to keep creative resources fueled,” Caldwell said. “It’s part of our well-being as students and faculty.”

Professor of art education and club adviser Dennis Dake said this year’s group is “particularly enthusiastic.”

“The purpose of the club is to promote the role of arts in education, whether on this campus or out in public,” Dake said.

He also said it is important to promote visual literacy and do things that benefit the campus by helping people see that art is important for everyone, no matter what career they are considering.

Caldwell said the club is about “bringing students and teachers together to learn about creative thinking.”

Although Dake and Caldwell teach art education in the graduate program, Caldwell said they are both supportive of art education in general.

Caldwell also said that the club is for all students interested in art education, whether they are undergradutate or graduate students.

Roggow said the art education program is so small, not many people know about it, but suggests that anyone “toying with the idea of doing art education” check out the Art Educators Club.

The club meets the first Wednesday of every month at 4 p.m. in Room 311 of the Design College.