WWJD bracelets make a statement

Elizabeth Thompson

A look at the letters WWJD is causing some people to reevaluate their actions.

The letters represent a challenging question for some people — “What Would Jesus Do [in this situation]?”

The letters are printed on everything from mugs to mousepads, but the most common place to find them is on cloth or pewter bracelets.

However, reaction to the bracelets varies.

Looking at the bracelets helps people keep their “priorities straight,” said Crystal Caruana Sullivan, campus minister at St. Thomas Aquinas Church and Catholic Student Center, 2210 Lincoln Way.

She said the bracelets are a way for people to make a statement about what they believe.

Char VanKerckvoorde, co-owner of Lemstone Books, a Christian bookstore in North Grand Mall, agreed that the bracelets are a positive influence.

“[They] emphasize the importance of Jesus in your life,” she said.

Steve VanKerckvoorde, co-owner of Lemstone Books, said he thinks people are looking for something they can hold onto, and the bracelet subtly fulfills that need.

He said the bracelets are quite popular, and he said truckstops and grocery stores are selling them, not just Christian stores.

The popularity of the initials began with the book “In His Steps” by Charles M. Sheldon, Steve VanKerckvoorde said. He said the book is about one church’s pledge to consider what Jesus would do before every decision.

Not every Christian approves of the use of the slogan, however.

“I think a lot of people wear them because they’re in style,” said Patrick Duquette, president of Cyclones for Christ and sophomore in psychology.

“You don’t need a bracelet to help you make good choices,” he said.

Bible study and keeping yourself out of bad situations are other ways to be more like Jesus, Duquette said.

Amy Beatty, senior in pre-agricultural engineering and a Catholic, said she feels looking at the letters might be helpful to those going through a rough time or for people who want to show their faith.

Beatty said regular church-goers would already consider what Jesus would do, regardless of a bracelet.

“I probably wouldn’t wear one,” she said.

Though the bracelets may have a valuable function, some people think they could pass as a shallow fad.

Kevin Mugons, associate pastor of Campus Baptist Church, 130 S. Sheldon Ave., said he feels the bracelets have become pretty standard in the Christian community, and the uniqueness has worn off.

“Like any other fashion statement, it will wear off, but hopefully the sentiments behind it won’t,” Mugons said.

Steve VanKerckvoorde said he feels selling the bracelets everywhere cheapens the sentiment, and Caruana Sullivan said she doesn’t think the trend will last.

“I think it’s a good thing, [but] it will eventually go out,” she said.

However, Caruana Sullivan said she will always teach people to ask themselves the WWJD question.

“As [Christians], our main focus is to live like Jesus,” she said.

If the popularity of WWJD dies, four more letters may take their place. The initials FROG answer the WWJD question, Steve VanKerckvoorde said.

FROG stands for Fully Rely on God.