Mixed reactions to coinless laundromats

Travis Semmens

Freshly painted and remodeled, the residence hall laundromats are ready for students’ dirtiest and sweatiest clothes. However, there will be no more lugging around quarters in the quest to dry those delicates.

Residence hall laundry rooms are now completely coinless. A wash still costs 75 cents, and a dry 50 cents, but now the ISUCard is the method of payment in the washroom.

The washers and dryers are all connected to a debitek on the laundry room wall. The debitek will take the appropriate amount of money for the machine students are using off the cash strip on the back of their ISUCards.

Student response to the new payment system is mixed.

“It is nice, except when the money runs out on your card,” said Christa Sweet, freshman in elementary education.

“The cards are handy,” said John Meyers, freshman in journalism and mass communication. “I don’t like carrying spare change on me.”

Katie Mohning, resident of Lyon Hall and sophomore in business, said she has used the new laundromats twice. She said for the most part, she likes the new system.

“I actually don’t have to go running around looking for quarters,” she said.

David Hansen, freshman in pre-engineering, said he was unaware of the change in the laundromats and brought a roll of quarters with him when he moved in.

Erik Allen said after a bad experience with the change machine last year, in which he lost $5, he is pleased about the new card system.

“You don’t have to worry about [losing change] now — that’s nice,” said Allen, sophomore in chemical engineering.

Christopher Barker, hall director of Wilson Hall, said his residents have not had many problems with the new facilities.

“The feedback I’ve gotten has mostly come from just getting people acclimated to using the cash card, making change and putting money on the cards,” Barker said.

“Most responses have been very positive because the length of the dryers has increased from 30 to 40 minutes, and that makes it easier for students,” he said.

However, Joe Rief, resident assistant for Godfrey House in Friley Hall and junior in elementary education, said the general consensus from his residents is that they do not like the new system.

Rief said one of the reasons the residents do not approve of the new system is because they can no longer receive change from the hall depots. Also, there have been technical problems.

“The computer goes down and things like that,” he said. “It’s happened once or twice.”

Neha Khera, resident assistant for Hutton House in Friley Hall and junior in pre-architecture, said students have been having a hard time dealing with several changes in the residence halls, such as the elimination of complex offices and the laundry facilities.

“Most of the [laundry] problems have dealt with the machines that are used to put money on the cards,” Khera said. “The machines haven’t been working very well.”

Khera said she feels the actual washers and dryers are also sub-par.

“The machines are not as good as they were last year, even though last year, they were old,” she said.

She said students have to run the new dryers three times to get their clothes dry.

“You end up spending a lot more to do a load of laundry,” Khera said.