Zen Priest to speak about Buddhism with ISU students

Angela Bartley

Iowa State students are invited to attend a personal perspective lecture by the first woman to practice in an all-male monastery.

Rev. Zuiko Juliette Redding is an American-born, but Japanese-trained Soto Zen Priest who will speak about the Zen practice through her own personal experiences. The lecture will be held tonight at 7:30 in the Gold Room of the Memorial Union.

Joyce Hertz, who is member of the Lotus Buddhist group, said the lecture is geared to almost all students.

People who are interested in Buddhism, different perspectives on women or just want to learn more about Zen or any religion in a broader sense would be interested in Redding’s presentation, she said.

“[The lecture] is opened to anyone who is interested for any reason,” Hertz said. “You don’t have to be Buddhist; there is no check at the door.”

During the lecture, Redding will share her perspectives on the Japanese monasteries and how she broke the tradition by practicing in all-male monasteries.

Redding also will discuss how priests are trained and why it has traditionally been a male-dominated practice.

“She is a wonderful teacher,” Hertz said.

Redding obtained her doctorate in sociology from the University of Wisconsin at Madison and has taught at the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee, according to a press release. She also was a long-time member of the Minnesota Zen Center.

Due to her stay in Japan for many years, Redding has insights on Japanese culture and the dissimilarities between it and American culture.

“It will be interesting to hear how the West encountered the East,” Hertz said.

Redding had extensive experience while in Japan.

In January of 1992, Redding was ordained as a Soto Zen Priest shortly after her arrival in Japan, according to a press release.

She practiced there for five-and-a-half years at the Shogoji Monastery with Tsugen Narasaki Roshi, from whom she received dharma transmission in July of 1996.

In 1997, Redding returned to the United States and joined the Dharma Farm Sangha in Iowa City as its current resident priest.

After the lecture tonight, a Zen retreat will be held Saturday at the Unitarian Fellowship Church, 1015 Hyland Ave.

The retreat is open to the public. Those with little or no experience in meditation will meet at 8:30 a.m., and people with previous meditation experience will gather at 5:30 a.m. It is expected to last until 5:30 p.m.

It will consist of a question-and-answer session, readings and discussion. A vegetarian meal also will be provided for lunch.

The fee to attend is $15 for non-students and $10 for students.

“[Both the lecture and the retreat] are an opportunity for students to learn more about [Zen],” Hertz said.