GSB looks to seat new cabinet

Archana Chandrupatla

Government of the Student Body executives received some criticism this summer after their controversial decision to leave the process of choosing their cabinet until the fall semester.

The senate will finally have the opportunity to induct 11 new cabinet members chosen by the president, vice president and chief of staff at tonight’s GSB meeting. The meeting will be held at 7 p.m. in the South Ballroom of the Memorial Union.

GSB Vice President Jamal White said he does not think there will be a lot of controversy over the cabinet seating bill.

“I don’t see any problems, and I don’t see anything possibly going wrong,” White said. “The senate will get a chance to meet the cabinet before the meeting, so I don’t see that there should be any problems with the bill passing.”

Kate Kjergaard, GSB chief of staff, also said she does not foresee any problems with the new cabinet.

“The three of us — myself, Jamal and Bryan — discussed all possible candidates and also used written evaluations so we could come to a consensus on who we felt would be the best possible candidates for the new cabinet,” she said.

Burkhardt said he is looking forward to seating the new cabinet.

“I am really excited that the cabinet and finance committee are ready to be seated,” he said. “I hope the senate takes advantage of the opportunity to meet the cabinet members before the meeting.”

There are, however, going to be some changes regarding the cabinet positions, Kjergaard said.

“We advertised 11 positions, and we changed a few of them,” she said.

One position change includes the director of legislative affairs to the director of inter-governmental affairs, and several new co-chair positions were created.

Kjergaard said she is pleased with the cabinet but is hoping the members will not have the same problems cabinet members faced last year.

“We’re looking for a cabinet that’s not going to overturn in the middle of the year,” she said. “It happened last year, and we want to avoid that this year.”

Burkhardt also wants to avoid such problems.

“Last year, we did have a couple of people that had to be removed, and then we had to find people to replace them,” he said. “As a result, the GSB was left in a bind by not having specific cabinet members and not being able to serve the students.”

Burkhardt said he is more optimistic about this year’s cabinet.

“We made sure we would have a committed cabinet,” he said. “I have a lot of faith in them, and I think they will do a good job throughout the year — I don’t think the senate will object. We picked people from all over the university community. I think we picked a great group of people.”

Kjergaard also said she has faith in the new cabinet. “I don’t foresee any problems,” she said. “I feel that all the candidates are pretty solid and will do a good job.”

Also, before tonight’s meeting, GSB is offering a tour of the Student Answer Center on the ground floor of Beardshear Hall.

The purpose of the tour is to let everyone know about the different service offered at the center, White said. “It’s just to let the senators know what it does, and what the purpose of it is,” he said.

Burkhardt said he is excited about getting GSB involved with the Student Answer Center.