Engineering professor becomes vice provost

Abbie Moeller

The new position of vice provost for undergraduate programs has been filled and will be active during the 1998-99 school year.

Howard Shapiro assumed the position on Aug. 1.

Shapiro, who has been working at Iowa State for 23 years, has worked as a professor of mechanical engineering and as assistant dean for undergraduate programs in the College of Engineering.

Shapiro said he sees this new position as an opportunity to get involved in campuswide undergraduate programs, instead of specifically engineering programs.

He was chosen through an application process that included a full day of interviewing with campus groups and administration officials. He said he believes this gave many people a chance to be involved in the decision.

“I’m honored to have been chosen,” Shapiro said. “I will focus on enhancing teaching and learning programs on campus.”

Shapiro has previously done work with undergraduate programs and said he feels this will be an opportunity to expand his horizons.

Associate Provost Edwin Lewis said Shapiro and the two other vice provosts will work together to cover the three major functions of the university: teaching, research and extension.

Lewis’ discontinued position covered not only the undergraduate programs, but also staff and faculty issues. Lewis said the responsibilities of associate provost that are not related to undergraduate programs will likely stay in the provost’s office.

Lewis is retiring in December, enabling him to help Shapiro with the transition to becoming vice provost for undergraduate affairs. Lewis said their collaboration will prove useful, as they have previously worked together many times.

Some of Shapiro’s new responsibilities will include the University Honors Program, Council on International Programs, Center for Teaching Excellence and Women in Science and Engineering. Shapiro said these duties will not be entirely new to him, because he has dealt with such organizations in the College of Engineering.