A look back at freshman year

Jackson Lashier

It’s the Friday before Finals Week, in case you are too tired to realize it. To tell you the truth, I never thought I would make it this far. I’m about done with my first year of college. That’s a frightening thought.

This first year has been a roller coaster ride for me. There were some peaks, there were some valleys. I had some good times, I had some bad times. I had some triumphs, I had some failures. I had a few laughs, I had a few cries. And through it all, I figured out that no matter how much we deny it, we’re at college to learn. I’m proud to say that I learned a lot.

I learned that general education sucks — especially natural science. I learned that there is actually a lady playing the bells at the top of the Campanile. I learned that there are some people who actually don’t like “Seinfeld.” I learned that there are some people who actually like Sinatra. I learned that any cause you believe in is worth fighting for. I learned that it’s still possible to make an 8:00 class when you’ve woken up at 10 ’til, but why bother? I learned not to take that 8:00 class in Lush Auditorium.

I learned that I should have taken three years of Spanish in high school. I learned that the question “Who’s your daddy?” is a rhetorical one. I learned that having the hiccups during an exam is not good. I learned that falling asleep in an exam is even worse. I learned that there are a lot of stereotypes on this campus. I learned that stress is a disease, and so is homesickness. I learned to wear a watch. I learned what the definition of shag is. I learned that tragedy can be overcome. I learned what a tier is — well, not really.

I learned that a dry Veishea worked for some people, but for others, it crashed and burned. I learned that if you go to the Hub at lunch, you might as well be in another country. I learned it’s okay to wear a backpack to class. I learned that a night of sleep can be sacrificed as long as there’s a six pack of Mountain Dew lying around. I learned that death can strike when you least expect it. I learned that the toilets in the restrooms of Horticulture Hall are more comfortable than most lecture hall seats. I learned that it’s easy to change your major — too easy.

I learned that racquetball is the most frequently played sport among college students. I learned that “The Simpsons” is the most frequently watched television show among college students. I learned that they don’t call it “Dead” Week for nothing. I learned that no matter how hard I try, I’m never going to get a Quick E printed in this newspaper. I learned that Wranglers are the brand of choice for most ag majors. I learned what a Homo Erectus is, and it wasn’t what I thought.

I learned that a hunger strike won’t get you very far. I learned that there aren’t many qualifications to be a CyRide driver. I learned that it’s okay to listen to evangelists at the Hub as long as you don’t except any Kool-Aid from them. I learned how to sleep for longer periods at a time than I ever thought imaginable. I learned that the Cubs will never be contenders — no wait, I already knew that.

I learned that the radio station 105.1 only has three songs on their play list. I learned how to shake off criticism. I learned that if you really want to, you can do nothing. I learned not to dry khakis all the way. I learned that the game Minesweeper will eventually kill you. I learned that even if they say that this person needs no introduction, chances are they’ll introduce him anyway.

I learned how to tie a tie. I learned that there are a lot of temptations in college. I learned that with help, those temptations can be resisted. I learned that bike riders on this campus are incredibly rude. I learned that the movie “As Good As It Gets” doesn’t get very good. I learned that of all the things I’ve written, that one is the most likely to piss people off. I learned that if you believe in yourself, anything is possible.

So that was my freshman year, in a 19-inch nutshell. It was quite a ride.

Jackson Lashier is a freshman in English from Marshalltown.