Attempted robbery reported by student

Staci Hupp

An Iowa State student reported an attempted robbery on campus Monday night, according to the Department of Public Safety.

According to officers, an unidentified female victim was allegedly confronted at about 7 p.m. on the north portion of central campus.

The student, who had apparently been on her way to class, reported that she was approached by a man after parking her car in Lot 35, north of the intersection of Pammel Drive and Stange Road.

The suspect, who was believed to have been carrying a knife or similar weapon during the incident, allegedly demanded money from the victim.

Rob Bowers, director of the DPS Patrol/Student Reserve Program, said there was some type of physical contact between the suspect and the victim.

“He tried to grab her purse,” Bowers said.

“To what extent, I don’t know. There are no indications, that I’m aware of, that there was an assault other than the robbery attempt,” he said.

Bowers added that DPS will not release the victim’s name.

DPS officials said the suspect fled the area on foot after discovering the female student had no money in her possession.

Although a search of the area was conducted following the report, no one matching the suspect’s description was found.

The suspect has been described as a college-aged white male, about 6-feet tall with a slender frame.

He allegedly was wearing a dark-colored sweatsuit over a white T-shirt, black shoes, white socks and a black ski mask.

Anyone with further information regarding the incident is urged to call DPS at 294-4428.