Officials announce $5 million added to Hixson scholarships

Archana Chandrupatla

University officials and Iowa State President Martin Jischke announced Tuesday that $5 million has been added to a special scholarship program at ISU.

The Hixson Opportunity Awards Program from the Lied Foundation Trust of Las Vegas, which offers college opportunities to many Iowa high school graduates, now has an endowment of $12 million — the largest gift ISU has received from a private foundation.

“This is a very special day in the history of Iowa State University,” said Tom Mitchell, president of ISU Foundation.

The Hixson program was created in 1995 with a $5 million gift from the Lied Foundation in Las Vegas. Iowa native Christina Hixson, the foundation’s sole trustee, gave ISU the gift to create a scholarship program for Iowa students who face “personal or financial difficulties,” according to a press release.

The gift currently secures the financial futures of 259 ISU students, who will receive a gift of $2,500 annually for the next four years.

Jischke said the new gift puts ISU closer to achieving its original program goal of $17 million.

“In three short years, this program has been a tremendous success, and it has exceeded all of our hopes and expectations, except perhaps for those of Christina Hixson, who is always striving for greater things for our students,” Jischke said.

A reception followed the 4 p.m. announcement in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

All ISU Hixson scholars attended the reception and thanked Hixson, who currently is in Las Vegas, via satellite.

Jischke said the gift shows that Hixson considers education a top priority for today’s youth.

“Christina Hixson is a very generous person who cares a lot about young people and opportunities for higher education,” he said.

Jischke also praised the students for their determination and hard work.

“You continue to impress and amaze us, and your spirit and enthusiasm are infectious,” he said. “You have done this Hixson name and this university proud in what you have accomplished.”

Hixson commented via satellite that she is proud of the scholars and that providing financial help for the students is a fulfilling experience.

“It is with great pleasure that I am able today to congratulate the Hixson scholars and Iowa State,” she said.

Mitchell said the Hixson program and the Lied Foundation are part of Campaign Destiny, which is a $300 million fund-raising effort which also benefits ISU.

Hixson is a trustee of the Lied Foundation Trust in Las Vegas, named for Ernst. F. Lied, for whom the ISU Lied Recreation Center also is named.

In honor of his parents, Lied had established the trust, which was passed to Hixson, his longtime business partner, when Lied died in 1980.

Besides ISU, Hixson has contributed to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, the University of Kansas, the University of Nevada-Las Vegas and a variety of charitable organizations throughout the Midwest.