Ames police: dramatic increase in area methamphetamine use

Staci Hupp

Despite national and local attempts at curbing drug use, officials say methamphetamine consumption is rampant in Ames and at Iowa State.

“We’ve seen a dramatic increase in the use of meth in the area within the last year,” said Capt. John Tinker of investigative services for the Department of Public Safety. “We’re finding far more meth on the streets from dealers than in the past.”

Methamphetamine, also known as “crank” or “ice,” is a highly addictive drug that is illegally produced and sold in powder, pill form, capsules and chunk form.

According to the Partnership for a Drug-Free America, meth can be snorted or smoked to stimulate the central nervous system, producing a high which lasts from eight to 24 hours.

Part of a rise in drug abuse nationally and particularly on the ISU campus, methamphetamine nearly tops the list of trends.

Tinker said meth use is a widespread problem and that reports in Ames have doubled even in the past six months.

He said the drug’s rise in popularity is a result of its accessibility.

“It’s coming into the state. There’s more around, and it’s easier to access,” he said.

Ames Police Chief Dennis Ballantine said meth is just one of many drugs within local reach.

Like marijuana and LSD, he said meth is sold cheaply.

“I think we’re not immune from it because of its price and availability,” he said. “It’s relatively easy to get ahold of.”

Ballantine said the state has shut down a number of illicit meth labs that manufactured the drug.

But on a national level, states such as California maintain literally hundreds of illegal labs and have been dubbed “source countries” for other states, according to an Associated Press article.

Ballantine said the police department not only combats drug use on the streets, it also has developed task forces in Ames, at ISU and in various locations in Story County.

A special emphasis on drug awareness is directed toward Ames elementary and middle school students, he said.

“We try to go after dealers and hope that prevention and [promoting] the negative aspects of the drugs will help the situation,” Ballantine said.

Local law enforcement officials are not alone in the fight against meth and other drugs.

The Student Activities Center offers peer education groups, in which students give presentations about alcohol and substance abuse.

In addition, ISU Student Counseling Service provides assistance, evaluation and recommendations for all students seeking help for drug dependency.

“We have had some [cases involving meth], but we haven’t seen a lot,” said Jeanne Burkhart, coordinator of Substance Abuse Services.

Burkhart said Student Counseling Service does not treat drug abuse, but students receive an assessment and are referred to treatment programs, including Narcotics Anonymous.

Health authorities say meth abusers should be aware of its dangerous consequences.

Dixie Hyde, director of the emergency department at Mary Greeley Medical Center, 1111 Duff Ave., said although the hospital hasn’t dealt with many medical emergencies associated with meth use, she believes awareness is important.

“In our student population, we don’t see it very often; it’s pretty rare [at the hospital], but it’s out there,” she said.

Hyde said meth use results in multiple health risks, depending upon the amount of consumption. She noted that mixing the drug with alcohol amplifies its potency.

She said its side effects include hyperactivity, hallucination, unconsciousness, coma and either rapid or slow heart rate; long-term risks include neurological and chronic respiratory problems, kidney disorders and brain damage.

Answering public concerns about the meth epidemic, legislators devised a national plan aimed at inhibiting meth use. U.S. Rep. Tom Latham, Republican from the 5th District, uncovered a $260,000 media campaign on Jan. 15, in which anti-meth advertisements infiltrated both print and broadcast media markets across the country, according to an Associated Press article.

Iowa has carried strict penalties for the use and distribution of meth since the Methamphetamine Control Act passed in 1996.

Jim Scheetz, assistant county attorney for Boone and Story counties, said the maximum penalty for manufacturing and delivering more than 5 g of the drug includes a 25-year prison term and a fine of $5,000 to $100,000.

Scheetz also said possession for personal use carries a penalty of up to one year in a county jail and/or a fine of $250 to $1500.