Student abandons pet at Celtic Manor

Jackson Lashier

Abandonment and suffering are never pleasant, especially when they happen in the season of giving. But that’s just how a small Himalayan cat spent the first part of its holiday.

In the last week of December, a cat was found close to death in a closet at the Celtic Manor apartment complex, 1300 Coconino Road. “Smokey” had been left alone for a week, trapped in a cage without enough to eat or drink.

Lorna Lavender, director of the Ames Animal Shelter, said the cat was brought to her in failing condition. “It was very touch and go for the first two weeks. It would have died without interventive care,” she said.

Apparently, the cat was abandoned when its owner, an Iowa State student, went home for semester break. Adam Saleh, sophomore in pre-business from Indonesia, has yet to return to the United States.

Lavender, who has been investigating the case, said Saleh could face serious charges.

“Right now, Saleh faces a municipal animal neglect charge, and state animal abandonment charges could follow,” she said.

The case is still under investigation, and Lavender said for now, the charges are only alleged. “At this point, we have yet to confirm that Saleh is involved,” she said.

Saleh’s telephone number is disconnected, and he has not been available for comment.

Bobby Straight, building manager of Celtic Manor, said he had encountered no previous problems with Saleh. “He’s always been a good tenant,” he said.

Straight said Saleh has lived at Celtic Manner for almost a year, but if he doesn’t return soon, he will lose his apartment. “Saleh has about ten days to return or the proceedings will start,” he said.

Lavender said this case of animal cruelty is rare for Ames.

“Ames is a very responsible community. Most of the cases we work with are not considered animal cruelty,” Lavender said. “They usually involve an animal’s standard of care not being adequate.”

Lavender said because of Ames’ proactive city ordinances, the shelter is able to prevent incidents of cruelty from happening.

Although Smokey has made a full recovery, he continues to be monitored by shelter employees.

“We are very fortunate he was found when he was,” Lavender said.