ISU reacts to scientist’s plan to clone humans

Jackson Lashier

Ever since Scottish scientists cloned an adult sheep, there has been a huge interest in the research and practice of cloning. Most of the reaction, however, has been negative.

Along with the opponents is U.S. President Bill Clinton, who recently denounced the activity.

According to the Associated Press, Clinton sent a bill to congress to ban similar activity with human beings for at least five years. However, instead of the bill tabling the subject, it seems to have revived it.

Recently, a Chicago physicist named Richard Seed announced that he would be able to clone a child within the next two years. This announcement created a mountain of controversy in the scientific and political world.

According to AP, Seed has been publicly criticized by scientists and other officials.

On a CBS special, Dr. Thomas Murray, director of the Center for Biomedic Ethics at Case West University, said, “I’m not even sure he is taking himself seriously.”

Despite his reports that he has received support from many people, Seed has many critics from all walks of life.

Scientists and officials in the area have expressed concerns with the safety and ethics of human cloning.

Other skeptics have stepped up as well, from the White House to the campus of Iowa State.

“Is the goal to make humans better?” Kristi Harkins, adjunct instructor in the zoology and genetics department, said expressing her concern on where this technology is leading.

“He hasn’t thought of the psychological problems of being a human clone,” she said.

Harkins agreed with Clinton’s five-year ban so the project can be thoroughly researched.

“I think a committee needs to be formed to discuss the potential problems and ethical issues involved,” she said.

The feeling of the students is mutual.

“I think science is going too far. I’m totally against it,” said Tybee Sever, senior in sociology.

“He is interfering with the laws of nature,” said Sarah Mullison, freshman in education.

“It’s unethical. Everyone is unique. If God wants two of me, he’ll do it himself,” said Nick Arthur, freshmen in mechanical engineering.

Despite the outpouring of criticism he has received, Richard Seed will not give up.

The latest group of AP stories reports that Seed is not deterred by Clinton’s bill. He said he’ll continue his work abroad if necessary.