No. 24 Cyclones knock off No. 20 Mississippi, 87-73

Freshman guard Talen Horton-Tucker dribbles the ball during the game against the Southern University Jaguars on Dec. 9 at Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones ended the game with a win of 101-65.

Aaron Marner

Thanks to a hot shooting day, Iowa State (15-5, 4-3 Big 12) walked out of Oxford, Mississippi, with a 87-73 win over No. 20 Mississippi.

Iowa State was led by freshman guard Talen Horton-Tucker. Horton-Tucker started strong, scoring 15 points (7-of-11 shooting) in the first half. He finished the game with 23 points.

The Cyclones struggled with turnovers but made up for it with efficient shots. Iowa State shot 38-of-55 (69 percent) for the game, including 20-for-26 (77 percent) in the second half.

Sophomore guard Lindell Wigginton chipped in with 18 points and five rebounds. Redshirt senior guard Marial Shayok, the Big 12’s leading scorer, kept up his strong scoring with a 17-point performance.

Redshirt senior guard Nick Weiler-Babb had eight points, nine rebounds and eight assists.

The Cyclones will resume Big 12 play against West Virginia at Hilton Coliseum on Wednesday.