Football players face charges for looting

Arianna Layton

Two Iowa State football players face burglary charges for looting rooms that were left empty after a fire evacuation of third-floor Larch Hall Saturday afternoon.

Jamel Joyner, 18, 4353 Larch Hall, is charged with one count of burglary in the third degree, which is a Class D felony punishable by up to five years in prison and/or a $7,500 fine, Capt. Rob Bowers of the Department of Public Safety, said.

Shaka Jones, 19, 6349 Larch, is charged with one count of burglary in the third degree and one count of burglary in the second degree, a Class C felony punishable by up to 10 years in prison and/or a $10,000 fine, Bowers said.

Both were suspended from the team by Athletic Director Gene Smith upon notification by Coach Dan McCarney of conduct requiring automatic suspension.

Joyner, a freshman wide receiver, turned himself in to DPS at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday. He spent the night in the Story County Jail on a $10,000 cash bond.

He was released by a judge Wednesday morning on his own recognizance pending trial, Bowers said.

Jones, a sophomore linebacker, turned himself in at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Jones was held in the Story County Jail Wednesday on a $13,000 cash bond and is scheduled to appear before a judge this morning.

Jones had refused to comment when contacted a couple hours before he turned himself in.

All of the stolen items have been recovered, Bowers said.

The two third-degree charges resulted from burglaries committed during the Larch Hall fire Saturday.

“At approximately 3 p.m., Jamel Joyner and Shaka Jones either stayed in Larch or re-entered Larch after it had been evacuated because of the fire,” Bowers said.

They entered rooms on the seventh and eighth floors, he said.

From Room 7370, they allegedly stole resident Nick Quandt’s VCR and cordless phone, valued at $275.

From Room 8366, they allegedly stole three textbooks owned by Gary Conway and a Nintendo 64 system owned by Kristopher Stover.

The books are valued at $209 and the Nintendo system is valued at $250.

During the investigation of those two incidents, Bowers said it was discovered that Shaka had also allegedly stolen three textbooks Friday, Oct. 31, from Abbie Place, 6306 Larch, valued at $250, and one textbook from Holly Ziska, 6325 Larch, valued at $60, which she had left in the den.

Place was asleep in her room when Jones entered and allegedly stole her books, Bowers said. He said her presence in the room incurred Jones’ second-degree burglary charge.

Jones was connected to the thefts because the books, which had been reported stolen, were recovered with other stolen property.

“It’s good that we were able to get it taken care of right away,” Bowers said.

Tom Kroeschell, director of sports information, said, “They are still members of the team, but they are subject to future discipline.”

Being suspended, he said, means they cannot practice or play with the team.

According to the Student Athlete Handbook, student-athletes arrested or cited for violation of local, state or federal law which involves a felony are suspended from participation until the charges are resolved by the legal system.

Barb Licklider, faculty athletic adviser, said any financial aid remains in place during suspension; the athletes can also continue to use weight and training rooms and receive academic support.

Joyner was a late signee and Jones was a walk-on for the Cyclones.