Study abroad center welcomes new director

Danielle Peterson/Iowa State Daily

Newly-appointed Frank Peters discusses his new role as the Study Abroad Director. The question he wants to ask students at the Study Abroad Fair on Thursday is not if they are going to study abroad, but when.

Leila Doric

Frank Peters, an associate professor and holds the C.G. “Turk” and Joyce A. Therkildsen endowed professorship in industrial and manufacturing systems engineering, was appointed as the new study abroad director on Jan. 2.

Peters will be appointed for three years, with a 75 percent appointment, according to a press release.

Peters said his one of his new roles as director is to promote the study abroad program for undergraduate students.

“I hope to better [collaborate] with the academic colleges and improving systems with all the offices that interact with the study abroad center,” Peters said.

Peters said he hopes to increase participation within the study abroad programs and also to create programs that are safe and cost effective.

“One of the reasons to having a faculty member is to improve the curriculum integration,” Peters said. 

Peters said study abroad participation is increasing across the country and he wants to work with students and the colleges to show students what they can do if they come to Iowa State.

“The questions I’m asking students are not are you going to study abroad but when and where are you going to go study abroad,” Peters said. “When I was an undergrad, study abroad seemed like something exotic and out of reach and so I want to show that it is not out of reach.”

The Study Abroad Fair will take place from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Students will be able to engage with Iowa State programs and affiliate programs. 

Students will also be able to get answers to any questions and choose between the different programs that fit their needs, according to the events website.

Peters said the Study Abroad Fair is going to be an opportunity to meet with people he works with at Iowa State.

Peters said the first step if students want to study abroad is to go to their study abroad office within their college or to visit the study abroad center.

“Take advantage of the opportunities that available to you because there’s hundreds of programs available, both through the study abroad center and the colleges,” Peters said. “There are programs that are in English, programs in other languages, you can be on about any continent.”

Peters said there are study abroad programs that are available to everyone and some that are even cheaper than if students were to study in Ames.

Peters said although he didn’t study abroad as a student in college he was an on-sight director and co-taught some students during a study abroad trip in locations such as Britain and Ireland.