BSA supports the strike for change

Meron Wondwosen and Randall Duval

On behalf of the Black Student Alliance of Iowa State University, we would like to pledge our support for our brother Allan Nosworthy.

Allan is without a doubt one of the most convicted people I know so I would like to make it extremely clear when I say this thing will end one of three ways: 1.) With the University agreeing to the commitments proposed in Allan’s letter printed in the ISU Daily, 9/22/97, 2.) With the hospitalization of Allan or 3) With the death of Allan Nosworthy.

Should anybody have doubts about his conviction please examine the commitment and conviction of the September 29th Movement which has been unwavering for the past two years and in which Allan’s role has been a part of.

It should be apparent, but in case it is not, we’ll make it explicit, BUSINESS AS USUAL IS OVER. The time to make the correct choice has arrived.

Now that it is clear that this situation is very real, it must also be clear why Allan is doing this.

He is doing this to show conviction in the fight for action and commitment behind ISU’s claims of attempting to foster diversity and to show conviction to making ISU a better place for ALL students.

What motivates him should also be clear, but if it is not, let me tell you he is motivated by a need to see an educational environment that fosters the upliftment of disenfranchised people.

Of all the people who died in the name of justice, equality and righteousness, all have acted out of a strong sense of love. As far as BSA is concerned, we feel this sense of love is the key motivating factor.

The changes that are being called for are all attainable at this university. More importantly, they are changes that ISU needs in order to make this school a place in which people of all colors feel welcome.

These are also changes that will make ISU the best land-grant institute in this country. Please note that every time the word “multicultural” is mentioned in Allan’s letter it is referring to all students.

Too often we shut off when we hear that word because we think it is referring to and concerning only students of color—last time we checked, everyone has a culture. It is imperative that these issues presented in Allan Nosworthy’s piece be resolved with all due speed as now time is a factor.

We feel it important to also point out that the issues Allan has addressed are issues that have been talked about for at least the last year if not for the last two years.

Some of the issues such as increased funding for MSA, the need for an Asian American Studies Programs and increased funding for cultural studies programs in general have been around long before September 29, 1995.

We hope, as Allan Nosworthy most likely hopes, that this development will give us a fresh pair of eyes so that we all may see the issues clearly and seriously and move toward obtaining the goals outlined in Allan Nosworthy’s piece.

In conclusion, the reason why Ghandi died of a bullet wound and not his hunger strike is because the people cared and were willing to put their needs and hang-ups aside, even if just for a brief moment.

They did not ALLOW him to die.

If Allan dies or becomes hospitalized it is because we Latino people, we Asian people, we white people, we Native American people, we black people, we ISU and we Ames community ALLOWED it to go so far.

Yes, Allan made this choice on his own, but yes, we need to care what happens on this campus, and we need to care what happens to an individual.

What makes a man put his life in jeopardy? What makes him act in such a manner?

No, he is not insane.

Yes, he is an extremist.

If none of this strikes a chord in your heart, then you are dead and anything dead ought to be buried.

Meron Wondwosen

Senior

Political science and French

President of BSA

Randall Duval

Senior

English and secondary education

Vice President of BSA