Iowa State enrollment is up

Tara Deering

Traffic may be heavier when walking across campus because of the nearly 500 extra students enrolled at Iowa State this fall.

The 1997 enrollment figures show an additional 485 students enrolled at ISU compared to last year’s enrollment. A total of 25,384 students enrolled for the current semester, compared to 24,899 last year.

A significant increase in undergraduate enrollment makes up most of the overall enrollment increase. While undergraduate enrollment increased, graduate enrollment was down for this semester.

Although undergraduate enrollment was up for this semester, enrollment of minority students declined. Minority students make up 6.61 percent of the total student population this semester. Last year, minority enrollment was 1,703. This year it is 1,678.

According to a press release, Hill said though the total minority enrollment declined, the number of new minority undergraduates increased by 15 students.

International enrollment also decreased this year by two students.

Graduate enrollment is dipping, David Bousquet, assistant vice president of enrollment, said. The low graduate numbers are probably directly tied to the economy. He said people have good jobs, so there is no financial reason for them to come back to school and pursue a higher degree.

One highlight of this year’s enrollment figures is that this year is the first since 1985 for freshman enrollment to exceed 4,000.

Freshmen, who comprisee 10 percent of the ISU student population, exceeded the 4,000 mark by six students.

Thomas Hill, vice president of student affairs, said increasing enrollment has been a cooperative effort by the university, alumni and community.

“I think David Bousquet, his staff, the university and the community have rallied and got a good, quality thing going,” he said.

Hill said it is hard to tell if this semester’s enrollment increase is a one-time increase or a continuing trend. He said he hopes the cooperative enrollment effort by Bousquet and others will continue to work.

Bousquet said increased enrollment will be a continuing trend.

“We are going to continue building on our success this year,” Bousquet said. “The increased enrollment and the news of the increased enrollment will make high school seniors look more closely at Iowa State.”

Bousquet said last winter his enrollment team “gallivanted” all around the Midwest. “We did 18 off-campus special programs in Iowa, as well as [programs in] five other states,” he said.

Bousquet said out-of-state and in-state enrollment was up this year by 11 percent.

Students and parents were involved in the programs, Bousquet said. Parents’ concerns about their students attending ISU were also addressed.

“In the past two years, I think we’ve made tremendous strides,” he said.

The Department of Residence has also helped in recruiting new students by having tours of the residence halls and free luncheons.

Bousquet also commended Facilities Planning and Management for ISU’s appearance.

“From all the people that I have spoken to, the most important thing students and their parents are seeking is a high-quality education for their money,” Bousquet said.

He said ISU provides a quality education, and many students and parents recognize this by the university’s excellent job-placement rate.

“The increase in students isn’t drastic enough to have an effect on the infra-structure of the university,” Hill said.

If enrollment continues to increase consecutively over a number of years, Hill said changes may have to be made.

He said a significant increase in students will affect the availability of classes and housing in the residence halls.