No residence? No job

Staci Hupp

About 15 student employees at the Richardson Court Association post offices could lose their jobs at the end of the semester because they are planning to move off campus, compliments of an RCA policy that hasn’t been enforced until now.

Sarah Williams, a sophomore in liberal arts and sciences and a resident of Barton Hall, works at the Cornerstone Post Office in Roberts Hall. She said she knew when she accepted her position last December that she would be moving into an off-campus house in the fall.

But Williams said she didn’t know she could lose her job because of it.

“If I had been informed then, I wouldn’t have accepted the job,” she said.

Supervisors for the two post offices in the old and new portions of RCA have decided to enforce a rule beginning in the fall, that gives job preferences to students who live on campus.

Of the 11 Maple-Willow-Larch postal workers, as many as eight will be moving off campus next semester, one is graduating and one was quitting, leaving two employees, workers said.

Of the 11 Cornerstone postal workers, as many as six will be moving off campus and two are graduating, leaving three employees, workers said.

Sally Deters, RCA coordinator of resident life, said the rule has always been in effect.

“There has been, in the past and in the present, support for post office workers who live in the residence halls,” she said. “There have been exceptions in the past, and there will not be in the fall.”

Williams said Cornerstone Post Office Manager Emybi Matos, a senior in Spanish who is one of the graduating workers, informed her a few weeks ago of the policy.

“They never told us the reason. The whole thing is really confusing,” Williams said.

Deters disagreed.

“People who are choosing to move off campus are choosing to leave their jobs,” she said. “A preference will be given to live-in students, but we’re not telling anyone they can’t apply for a job.”

RCA postal worker Sara Bjorke, a junior in journalism and mass communication, said postal worker Robin Rasmussen, a junior in visual studies, moved off campus three weeks ago and was allowed to keep her job, so Williams and other employees didn’t figure on any problems.

Williams said the policy itself is unfair and “disorganized.” She said she should have been informed of the policy when she accepted the job.

“All I know is the information I was given,” she said. “I was not given a choice because I was not properly informed to begin with. I feel like I’m being brushed off.”