Regents will vote on rate, permit hikes

Jen Schroeder

The state Board of Regents will meet this week to discuss a couple of issues that could affect the pocketbooks of both student car owners and residence hall residents.

Iowa State officials will request approval of parking rate increases for 1997-98.

After examining several alternatives during the past year, ISU is recognizing its long-term goal of creating both a parking structure and expanding the shuttle service from the Iowa State Center parking area, officials said. The proposed rate increases are designed to fund improvements to the campus parking system over the next several years, according to the board’s general docket.

If approved, car owners wanting to purchase special parking permits may see a four percent increase. Student commuter permits will go from $35 to $37, and Trice Stadium and residence permits will go from $32 to $34.

ISU will also propose the final approval of increase rates for family housing, student apartments and for residence hall and dining contracts for the 1997-98 academic year. These rates were given preliminary approval by the board at its March 1997 meeting.

The current residence hall rate for double occupancy, with 20 meals per week, is highest at the University of Iowa, among regents institutions, with a cost of $3,688. ISU is next with a cost of $3,508. UNI is cheapest with a cost of $3,264.

ISU officials will propose a 4 percent increase for a basic charge of $3,647 for a double-occupancy room with 20 meals per week. The highest rate increase will be 6.38 percent for the Pammel Court student rate. If the final approval is given, new residence hall rates will be effective May 11 of this year.

The Iowa Braille and Sight Savings School in Vinton will host the regents meeting Tuesday. On Wednesday, the meeting will be held in Cedar Falls at the University of Northern Iowa.