Conference to focus on professional skills

Arianna Layton

Professional and Scientific employees can now register to participate in the first professional development conference at Iowa State.

The conference is being sponsored by the P&S Council, the provost’s office and the training and development Office.

It will take place Tuesday, May 27, at the Holiday Inn Gateway Center in Ames.

Sharon Drake, manager of training and development, said the conference was developed to meet the professional development needs of employees who might not have the opportunity to attend similar off-campus conferences.

This conference, she said, is much less expensive and designed to “more fit the employees needs here at the university.”

Drake said an off-campus conference could range in cost from $150 to $1,000 or more.

“For the quality that they’re getting in this they would pay a lot,” she said.

The idea of organizing such a conference was discussed last year by the P&S Council, Drake said, and has “come into fruition.”

“Our goal is to make it an annual event,” she said.

Registration will be limited to about 280, due to space restrictions. Drake said registrations are coming in quickly.

Judy Campbell, president of J.C. Strategies, Katy, Texas, will give the keynote presentation after lunch.

She will explore individual reactions to change and analyze issues, from global to personal, that affect the work world.

Campbell was involved in developing The New Work Habits, selected as one of the 10 best training programs in 1995.

Interim Vice President for Student Affairs Dan Robinson will start the day with a talk on leadership and professional growth.

Participants will also be able to select two of seven workshops to attend.

The workshops include “Positioning yourself strategically and professionally” with Jan Hann, consultant from Career Directions, Inc.; “Professionalism and ethics at ISU” with Joe Kupfer, professor of philosophy, and Murray G. Bacon from the Center for Ethics and Business; “Continuous learning — it’s your responsibility” with Howard Shapiro, assistant dean of the College of Engineering; “Making yourself marketable” with Terri Deems, from Deems Associates, Inc., Ankeny; “Getting involved” with Russ Cross, president of Norwest Bank and Eugene Smith, ISU athletic director; “Building Community — We’re all in it together” with Kumari Riedemann, Invisions, Inc, Madrid; and “Mentoring — How can we make it happen?” with Krishna Athreya, Women in Science and Engineering, and Ellen Rasmussen, assistant provost.

The conference costs $25 before Wednesday, and then $30. To request a brochure call 294-8914.