Senate to focus on Jischke tonight

Carolyn Kapaska

The Faculty Senate will focus tonight’s agenda around the presidential evaluation of President Martin Jischke.

“The main committee is evaluating on how well the president is functioning in relation to the university,” said Barbara Mack, secretary of the Faculty Senate.

Mack said a special committee has been appointed within the Faculty Senate to tackle the evaluation. She said Dick Seagrave, a professor of chemical engineering, will explain in detail to the Senate the entire evaluation process.

The committee, Mack said, is working on a survey that will be completed by the faculty members. The committee will also look at a self-study which was given to Jischke and his cabinet.

“They will mold both reports together into one report,” she said. “The final report will then be given to the president.”

Mack said the committee is planning to have the report finished before the end of the semester.

In other business

* Changes for the Iowa State Extension program will also be discussed at tonight’s meeting.

Mack said the Extension program is under a great deal of reconstruction. The program is reorganizing the jobs of the Extension’s faculty members.

“It will have a fairly sizable affect on people in Extension,” she said.

Mack said the Iowa State Extension has many offices across the state.

She said the members of the Extension program are all faculty members of Iowa State.

* A new master’s degree program in agronomy will be introduced by Tom Loynachan, professor of agronomy, during the meeting.

“This is going to be a broad-based master’s program,” Loynachan said.

Loynachan said the Department of Agronomy has seen much interest in a master’s program. He said most of the interest has come from people who cannot make it to campus daily.

“There has clearly been enough growth in agronomy,” Mack said.

Loynachan said the new courses will be offered on CD-video in order to meet the needs of all the students. “This new program will give a broad picture beyond the bachelor’s degree,” he said.

* The Faculty Senate elections for secretary and council chairperson will also occur tonight.

Barbara Mack, associate professor of journalism, and Phil Van de Voorde, associate professor at Parks Library, were both nominated at the last meeting for the Faculty Senate position.

Tom Loynachan, professor of agronomy, was nominated for the academic affairs council chair. Suzanne Hendrich, interim director of food science, was nominated for the faculty development and administrative relations council chair.

Dean Ulrichson, professor of chemical engineering, was nominated for the chair of the governance council, and Jack Girton, associate professor of zoology, was nominated for the chair of the judiciary and appeals council.

Mack said Loynachan, Hendrich, Ulrichson and Girton currently serve as the council chairs.

Tonight’s Faculty Senate meeting will take place at 7:30 in Room 260 in the Scheman Building.