Student Government cancels meeting due to extreme weather

Katlyn Campbell/Iowa State Daily

Speaker Cody Woodruff addresses his fellow Student Government members during their first meeting of the spring semester Jan. 16 in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union. During the meeting they elected Jacob Schrader, current IRHA senator, to be chair of the Civic Engagement Committee and confirmed Emily Rizvic as the new election commissioner.

Madelyn Ostendorf

Student Government has canceled their weekly meeting due to the unsafe weather conditions Wednesday.

Due to the university-wide cancellation of classes, the meeting scheduled for Wednesday was canceled Monday evening. Speaker Cody Woodruff said this is the first time he can remember a Student Government meeting being canceled for any reason, weather or otherwise.

“I’d guess it’s been years since it was canceled previously, regardless of cause,” Woodruff said.

On the agenda for the meeting was a bylaw change to clarify the impeachment process for the Election Commission and a funding bill for Chabad on Campus, a student organization that provides a traditional Jewish experience and a home away from home for Jewish students and the student body as a whole, to bring a Holocaust survivor to campus March 4.

Though the cancelation will push bills and funding requests back a week, Woodruff said there are no items on the agenda that are time sensitive, and if a time sensitive item does come up, Student Government will work on a contingency to be certain students are not affected.

“What will likely happen is that everything will just get delayed by a week,” Woodruff said. “We’ll probably wait until the next meeting on Feb. 6 to vote on the bills we would’ve this week.”

For more information or to contact your senator, visit stugov.iastate.edu. The senate meetings are open to the public at 7 p.m. Wednesdays in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.