Hearings addressed at meeting

Carolyn Kapaska

The issue of The September 29th Movement members awaiting the Office of Judicial Affairs verdicts not only topped university news, but it also headed the Faculty Senate agenda Tuesday night.

Three English faculty members who oppose the sanctions placed upon The Movement members spoke during the Faculty Senate meeting.

The three faculty members spoke on behalf of the faculty and staff who organized the petition against the “silencing of free speech” at Iowa State.

“The university stresses the freedom of speech and these students aren’t getting it,” said Deb Marquart, an assistant professor of English and one of the petition organizers.

Marquart said the members of The Movement do not deny the actual act of civil disobedience but feel the punishments are unfair.

“Suspension is the harshest punishment that the administration can put on students,” Marquart said.

Marquart and the other faculty members Stephen Pett, associate professor of English, and Joseph Geha, professor of English, asked the members of the Faculty Senate to take a stance and speak out about their beliefs.

Marquart said the faculty have remained unspoken and she encourages them to take action.

“They aren’t the only ones who have remained silent,” Marquart said.

The three speakers ended by asking the members of the senate to take a faculty and staff petition and join the fight against the unfair sanctions.

In other news:

*Norm Boyles, the senate’s NCAA representative, reported a summary of the NCAA’s current actions. Boyles announced that after Aug. 1, 1997, student athletes will be permitted to work, even during their athletic seasons. Presently, the athletes can only work during the semester breaks and during the summer.

“I think we are going to hear more and more about student athletic rights,” Boyles said.

Boyles said a new appeal process for student athletes will also go into effect on Aug. 1.

The new process requires athletic directors to automatically suspend any athlete who has committed a serious criminal act. The athlete then has 72 hours to call for an appeal or else the suspension will directly go into effect.

“I think this is a very good idea and I think it will help student athletes recognize their position,” Boyles said.

*Tom Loynachan, the senate’s council chair of academic affairs, announced that many students have experienced conflicts while taking both an evening class and a class that gives evening examinations. Loynachan said the students do not have an option, but have to take both of these class types.

“There is some pressure on the students in this case,” Loynachan said.

*William Woodman, the Faculty Senate president, asked the senate for nominations for this year’s secretary and council chairs.

Barbara Mack, the present secretary, and Phil Van De Voorde, government publications specialist at Parks Library, were both nominated for the secretary position.

Tom Loynachan, an agronomy professor, was nominated for the academic affairs chair. Suzanne Hendrich, interim director of the food science department, was nominated for the Faculty Development and Administrative Relations chair.

Dean Ulrichson, a chemical engineering professor, was nominated for the chair position of governance; and Jack Girton, assistant professor of zoology, was nominated for the judiciary chair. All nominees currently hold these positions.

Woodman said the nominations are not closed. “The elections will take place at the next meeting,” Woodman said.

The next Faculty Senate meeting will be held on March 4, at 7:30 p.m., in 260 Scheman.