Members of Orchesis are ready for a night of romance

Jennifer Dostal

There’s romance in the air, but that’s not all Barjche, an annual spring dance show, will offer spectators this year.

Members of Orchesis I, one of Iowa State’s dance clubs, are planning an evening of romance and surprise for Barjche, which will take place Feb. 28-March 2.

Romance is the theme for this year’s Barjche, but dancers and choreographers say spectators should expect some surprises at the performance.

“[Barjche is] an exciting evening and wilder than usual,” said Joe Struss, a graduate student in curriculum and instruction and a Barjche performer.

Some participants had a note of caution for would-be audience members for this weekend’s performances.

“A lot of the people will find some of the pieces a little shocking,” said Kimberly Scott, a senior in music education and Barjche choreographer.

Struss said he thinks the most exciting dance is the “Tribe,” a dance created by Joel Hall, a Chicago-based choreographer for Barjche. “Tribe” will be making its world premiere at Fisher Theatre this weekend.

The Barjche homepage states “Tribe” will leave “a spine tingling trace of sensuality” in its wake.

“You’ve got to see it to believe it,” Struss said.

Many of the surprises come from the fact that choreographers can create dances to whatever style of music they are most comfortable, which also continues Barjche’s tradition as a variety show.

Sanda said to expect “good music” in a “bunch of different styles” ranging from the artist Enya to Japanese Kodo drums to techno and disco.

A visiting member of the dance faculty at Luther College, Doug Risner, is also a featured choreographer at Barjche. His dance, “Reluctant Partners,” is a humorous piece about the trials and tribulations of modern relationships set to techno-style music.

The show also features dances choreographed by students.

In keeping with the variety show tradition, the choreographers didn’t decide on a theme for Barjche and then create dances to fit the theme. Instead, they brought the pieces together and then found a theme.

“It just kind of happened,” Sanda said. “A lot of them [the dances] had to do with love and romance,” she said.

Besides being choreographed by different individuals to different music, each piece also has its own costumes and props.

“We’ve been making costumes like mad,” Sanda said.

Struss also hinted that besides the expected props like tables and chairs, one of the dances also uses scaffolding.

The performers and choreographers prepared, worked and rehearsed for months to bring the show to the stage. About one week before the show opens, the cast tries to perfect every dance with lighting, costumes and props. “It’s a lot of hard work and a little frustrating” with all the starts and stops, Scott said.

Performers said as opening night approaches, the hard work and time spent will pay off, but there is still hurried preparation in the dressing room during the final moments before the performance.

“The dressing room will be a little tense with everyone getting ready with make-up and costumes,” Scott said. This will be the first time many of these dancers perform the dances for an audience, she said.

Performers said the audience shouldn’t expect to just sit back and enjoy the performance. Some of the pieces do require audience participation, Struss said, but he said he didn’t want to give away the surprise.

“It will definitely leave you wanting to dance,” Sanda said.

Orchesis I sponsors three shows throughout the year — a Sunday After Church in the Maintenance Shop in the Memorial Union, Barjche and Focus.

The group’s members include people from a range of majors and ages. Laurie Sanda, an associate professor in health and human performance and Barjche’s artistic director, said Orchesis includes students with majors ranging from chemical engineering to physical education and with ages from 18-45. Students must audition in order to perform.

Orchesis I will have spring auditions March 20 at 7 p.m. in the Betty Toman Dance Studio, 196 in the Physical Education Building, for “Focus,” another dance concert sponsored by the group.

Orchesis I meets on Thursdays from 7-9 p.m.

Barjche performances are Feb. 28 and March 1 at 7:30 p.m. and March 2 at 3 p.m. at Fisher Theatre. Tickets are $5. Call the C.Y. Stephens Box Office at 294-2479.

The Barjche homepage address is http://www.public.iastate.edu/~vwindsor/info2.html.