Doing the health thing

Jodi Mace

Health, fitness and fun.

That was the focus of the Student Health Center’s annual Carnival of Health in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union on Thursday.

The carnival informed and entertained more than 1,200 people, including students from nine elementary and high schools across Iowa.

The carnival’s directors and volunteers said they were pleased with this year’s turnout.

“We are extremely happy with the turnout,” said Carnival of Health coordinator Gladys Nortey.

Mary Engstrom, supervisor of health education and wellness, attributed this year’s success to Nortey, who “brought a whole new look” to the carnival.

“Her contacts with the athletic department, athletes and coaches gave us a new look and enriched our opportunity to reach ISU students,” she said.

Dr. Robert Patterson, director of ISU’s Student Health Center, said students saw many health issues addressed by community organizations.

“I think it made them think, and raised their level of expectations to improving their health,” he said.

The carnival featured exhibitors, demonstrations, health screenings and autograph sessions with members of ISU athletic teams. Information, prizes and food were provided at many of the booths.

Members of the football team saw the carnival as an opportunity to give something back to the community.

Terry Thomas, a sophomore defensive end, said, “The kids supported us during the season, and we are trying to give back to them by signing autographs and representing the football team.”

ISU student Jaime Rodenkirk, a junior in exercise science and education, went to the carnival to educate herself and others.

“I think that it is really important to remind people of their health and fitness,” she said.

This was the 13th year for the Carnival of Health at ISU.