Cyclones knock off Oklahoma State, move to 4-2 in Big 12 play

Iowa State sophomore Lindell Wigginton makes a move toward the basket during the second half of their 77-60 win over Kansas.

Aaron Marner

Iowa State knew its Saturday game against Oklahoma State was a must-win.

The Cyclones had fallen apart for two straight losses before righting the ship against Texas Tech on Wednesday. Thanks to a 72-59 win over the Cowboys, the Cyclones finished the week 2-0.

Iowa State started strong, taking a 40-29 lead into the halftime break.

Sophomore guard Lindell Wigginton led the way for the Cyclones in the first half, playing 11 minutes off the bench and recording a team-high eight points (3-of-4 shooting). Wigginton knocked down two 3-pointers to ignite the Iowa State offense.

Freshman Talen Horton-Tucker had six points, two rebounds, two assists, two steals and a block in the first half.

As a team, the Cyclones shot 14-of-26 (53.8 percent) from the floor and 5-of-11 (45.5 percent) from beyond the arc in the first half.

The second half started rocky for Iowa State as the Cowboys went on a run to trim the lead to two.

Iowa State kept a small lead throughout the second half, extended it up to 12 points with less than six minutes to go and forcing a Cowboys’ timeout.

The Cyclones held on down the stretch to close the game out and move to 4-2 in Big 12 play.

Redshirt senior Marial Shayok finished with 20 points to lead the Cyclones. Wigginton added 14 and redshirt sophomore Cameron Lard had 12 in his return from injury.

Iowa State will return to the floor at 8 p.m. Monday when it takes on Kansas.