Impeachment process starts

Keesia Wirt

Impeachment papers were filed last night by a Government of the Student Body senator against President Adam Gold.

Sen. Mike Pogge, LAS, said he filed the impeachment papers because Gold did not follow GSB bylaws when choosing a new election commissioner for GSB.

“The Story County auditor and three faculty members were supposed to attend the meeting [for choosing an election commissioner]. The auditor’s office has confirmed no one from their office was contacted,” Pogge said.

He also said he confirmed with former GSB Chief of Staff Dan Etler that no faculty members were contacted or present at the meeting.

Pogge said the Senate has already passed the bill, and at the time no one realized the rules were not followed.

Jamey Hansen, vice chairman of the Senate, said the impeachment papers were filed with him. “I am now instructed to hold a meeting with the plaintiff, the chair and the vice chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee and myself.”

Hansen will schedule the meeting within the next two days. At that time officials will author the resolution for impeachment.

The resolution will then go to the Senate Judiciary Committee, where members will decide if there is enough evidence to warrant a trial. “If there is enough evidence it goes to the Senate for an impeachment trial,” Hansen said.

Hansen said according to GSB Bylaws, neither Gold nor Pogge can now speak about the issue.

Carolyn Jones, vice president of GSB, said she feels the students have every right to circulate a petition and get their voices heard. If Gold is impeached, Jones assumes the position of GSB president if she is willing to accept it.

“That’s something I’ve been thinking about all weekend. I’ve come to the decision that if it should happen…I would take his place,” Jones said.

The impeachment papers were filed on behalf of Pogge. Neither of the two groups currently circulating petitions to impeach Gold were involved.

However, Pogge did say he is one of the organizers of the group known as United Students Against Gold. The group has its own homepage.

“Gold is our leader; we all respect that. But he’s not our dictator. That is what he is trying to do,” Pogge said.

Pogge said his mission is to provide more of a wake-up call rather than to remove the president from office.

He said getting the 750 required student signatures before Wednesday will be “very close,” but the goal is to have them in by Tuesday night.

The groups are circulating the petitions. Sen. Ryan Glanzer, RCA, circulated several petitions among his constituents.

Gold’s relationship with GSB Adviser Terri Houston was cited as one of the reasons for impeachment. Last week Gold asked for Houston’s resignation following her criticism of the Senate after a GSB meeting.

“The Terri Houston thing is what concerns me,” Glanzer said.

Hansen said no resolution will be presented to the Senate at this week’s GSB meeting. If the impeachment trial is called for, it is likely action will be taken at next week’s meeting.