Woodward to get warm welcome

Jen Schroeder

The university needed an additional adviser to meet the needs of an increasing number of students with learning disabilities. So it hired its first learning disabilities specialist.

The Disabilities Resource Office and the Student Counseling Service will celebrate the addition of Iowa State’s first learning disabilities specialist Gwen Woodward with a welcome reception today at 5:30 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Woodward, who received her master’s degree from ISU in special education in learning disabilities, started work with ISU in September. Prior to her job as learning disabilities specialist, Woodward taught in the Ames public schools.

Woodward advises more than 300 students with learning disabilities. “Her position was added to increase the availability of service to students with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders,” Gene Deisinger, clinical director of Student Counseling Services, said.

“Gwen has done a marvelous job in broadening out the clinical services that we do in assessing to see if a person has a learning disability,” Deisinger said.

He said that the other part of Woodward’s position is more of an advocacy position. “When students are diagnosed with a disability, then they are eligible for certain accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act. She works with the students in helping identify which accommodations will best fit their needs.”

Mark Blaedel, staff physician at the Student Health Center, said that both Ron Jackson, staff psychologist, and he have been really happy with Woodward’s new position.

One of the services that Woodward offers is writing letters for students with disabilities to give to their instructors. “If a person is diagnosed there may be some ways of approaching the academic experience that help a person be successful,” Deisinger said.

“If it is a person with attention deficit disorder, they may have trouble maintaining attention, concentration and the ability to focus.” He said that this may hinder a student’s ability to complete a test during the allotted time and Woodward can write a letter explaining this to a particular professor administering a test.

Blaedel said that both the Student Health Services and the Dean of Students office had been looking for a learning disability specialist for quite some time.

“We had advertised several times and just hadn’t found the right person.”

All students, faculty and staff are invited to attend Woodward’s welcome reception which is hosted by People Understanding Disabilities, a student organization that promotes awareness of disabilities on campus.