Forum allows students, faculty and staff to vent opinions, questions and frustrations

Keesia Wirt

Editor’s note: This article reflects opinions voiced at a public forum that occurred prior to the university’s announcement delaying a final decision on the proposed McDonald’s in the Hub.

Iowa State students, faculty and staff who oppose building a McDonald’s in the Hub crowded into the Maintenance Shop on Tuesday to get answers concerning the latest controversy to hit campus.

The crowd of nearly 150 people fired question after question to the only university official — Warren Madden, vice president of business and finance — to sit on the panel for the informational forum.

Madden began by giving a brief background of the decision-making process the university used to decide on a new vending contract.

“Eating patterns and habits of people have changed over the years,” he said. He said this change caused the university to research alternative vendors for their vending services.

The university received bids from five vending companies. After meetings with advising groups, including student representatives from the college councils and members of the Government of the Student Body, the university chose the Memorial Union contract. The Union’s contract included the plan to build a McDonald’s in the Hub.

Madden said this contract paid the highest commission.

“The Memorial Union and McDonald’s will enhance revenue the university brings to student groups. It will generate $300,000 a year or more, with half of that support going to student activities,” Madden said.

Madden ensured the audience that the Hub “will have all of the current facilities it offers today” and the exterior of the Hub will not be changed. He said the proposed McDonald’s would occupy 515 sq. feet, less than 10 percent of the Hub’s space.

Madden said McDonald’s is willing to look at the possibility of using university products and materials and has indicated it would offer 30 to 40 jobs to students.

Despite these benefits, many audience members expressed unhappiness with the university’s intention to build a McDonald’s without the knowledge of students, faculty or staff.

Bill Woodman, president of the Faculty Senate, said neither the students nor the faculty were informed of this proposal.

“We on the Faculty Senate found out when we read about it in the newspapers. Was there any thought at all about including the faculty? This is something that has happened before, and my question is, is it a pattern for the future?” he said.

Richard Johnson, ISU alum and professor at the University of New Mexico, said he thinks the proposal is a bad one.

“When you make a large decision, isn’t it wise to open it up to the students because it changes a large part of the campus?” he said.

GSB President Adam Gold said he was involved with the information process and as president felt the proposal made sense.

“You weren’t consulted, I was. The majority of students on this campus want this McDonald’s. You are a very vocal minority. What’s going on is you’re upset. That’s fine. Realize you are a minority.”

Gold told the booing crowd that his job as president is to go with the majority. He said everyone he talked to, with the exception of this group, either didn’t care or are for it.

Dustin Shaver, ISU student, said that all students at the university, not just Gold, deserved an opportunity to voice their opinions.

“It was after finals week that I saw this hit the papers, which is after the majority of students are gone,” Shaver said. “If Adam Gold is being consulted with, his duty is to bring that back to the students, not to say ‘Yeah, I agree with that.'”

Emily Dertz, ISU student, said she thinks the administration should wait to resolve this issue until all students are back in the fall.

“If we are a minority, then we have to deal with it. But if we’re not, then the students will have chosen what they want,” Dertz said.

One audience member said, “If we want to be the premiere land-grant university in the nation, why can’t we come up with something more premiere than a second- class McDonald’s?”

Madden said that while the goal of the university is to be an educational institution, it does take funds to run it.

“If you look around the country, there is no question that [commercialization] is happening all over. Look at the signage at the stadium and the coliseum. Look at the Olympics. That’s the world we live in,” Madden said.

Mike Dodge, ISU student, was one of the few people at the forum to speak in favor of putting the McDonald’s in the Hub.

“No one was saying before that we need healthy food choices on campus. If you don’t think it’s healthy, don’t eat there.”

Dodge also said that financially this would be a good thing for the students, since $300,000 would be given back to the university and nothing would be taken away.