Triathlon Club kicks off the new year with sixth annual InCydeman event

Courtesy of Austin Shadle

The Iowa State Triathlon club used Beyer Pool for the swimming portion of their triathlon on Saturday.

Sebastian Krembuszewski

The sixth annual InCydeman Triathlon occurred last weekend at State Gym and Beyer Hall, where athletes of all ages from around the Midwest competed in lengths of running, biking and swimming.

Athletes who participated in a 500-yard pool swim, an eight-mile bike ride on spin bikes and a two-mile run on the indoor track at State Gym. The event was also a qualifier for both the 2019 age group and the collegiate national championship races.

Since first being introduced, the InCydeman has gradually gained popularity, and more participants attended this weekend-long event. Companies such as HyVee, Wellmark and Honda were sponsors.

Zach Kaufman, a senior in kinesiology and health and current president of the Triathlon Club, was very excited to get the year’s first triathlon underway. Kaufman said he is happy to see how things have gone since first participating in the event.

“We have a really fun triathlon community; it’s great to participate in multiple sports under one umbrella,” Kaufman said.

Kaufman has participated in 15 triathlons in his lifetime, having been heavily interested in them for years. 

“I think I have done a decent job, given it’s a tough position with lots of responsibility,” Kaufman said. “It’s been a great experience overall.”

Many of the student athletes train year-round for triathlons, whether it be as a team or on their own. Some athletes are also involved in track and cross country in addition to participating in triathlons.

One of these students is Xander Apponi, a junior in computer engineering and member of the Triathlon Club. Apponi has had an interest in triathlons since he was in high school and was eager to be in a more active role during this year’s event.

“It’s great because you have the community of people who do it with you but can also practice and compete on your own,” Apponi said.

Apponi said he is training to become the future president of the club and is set on participating in all future triathlon events.

The school hosts an average of four triathlons each year, both indoor and outdoor. All are met with a high level of participants,  from Iowa State students and people from around the region.

Moving forward, the Iowa State Triathlon Club hopes to build off this event and continue to compete in all other future events this year.