Study tips and recommendations for online instruction

With the transition to online instruction, students are changing their routines and study habits to adjust to this time. 

Cameron Karn and Morgan Laviolette

Switching over to an entirely online class system is a big change for many students. The usual study habits from in-person instruction may not work anymore, but there are a few practices that will help students succeed in online classes.

“It’s so important for students to check email and Canvas frequently,” said Adriana Gonzalez-Elliott, assistant director for Academic Coaching and Outreach through the Academic Success Center (ASC). “Students can forward all Canvas messages and announcements to their ISU email address by clicking account, then notifications. I would encourage students to pick a day, either Sunday night or Monday morning to go through Canvas messages and or emails and lay out what needs to be done for the week.”

Gonzalez-Elliott recommended students use the ASC’s “week at a glance” spreadsheet that lays out each week in a planner format

It’s important to create a schedule that fits your needs and your space and to dedicate time each day to your classwork and online lectures, according to the Coursera Blog. By scheduling study time on your calendar, assignments are less likely to end up on the bottom of your to-do list.

ASC has also developed a sheet titled, “Adjusting Your Study Habits During COVID-19” that lays out tips and tricks to get through a difficult time. 

“We adapted this resource from the University of Michigan […] and it has been very helpful for students,” Gonzalez-Elliott said. “The resource talks about how students can stay organized, how to avoid multitasking, setting a schedule and staying connected. Because there is no structured time, it’s really important for students to establish a routine and break assignments and study in smaller chunks.”

Reading the chapters covered in class as well as actively taking notes during lecture or throughout your readings will help you master the material you are working on. At a time when you can’t really find tutoring or study groups, the textbook can help with your understanding.

“If students are having trouble getting started on an assignment or experiencing a lack of focus with online course work, we recommend the Pomodoro technique,” Gonzalez-Elliott said. 

The Pomodoro technique uses a timer and breaks down work into 20-minute intervals. These intervals are separated by short breaks that can help eliminate distractions for students and keep them on track. 

For schedules, a healthy sleep schedule is incredibly important. Young adults require seven to nine hours of sleep per night for the healthiest lifestyle, according to the Sleep Foundation. Going to bed and waking up at the same time every day as well will help get your body and mind into a rhythm. A fully rested student will retain more information from studying and recall more information when doing homework or taking a test.

ASC’s undergraduate peer ambassadors recommend showering and getting ready by going through a morning routine to keep on track as well as have a dedicated space to work on classwork. They also recommend setting goals of what needs to be completed each day and be as specific as possible. 

Students are still able to meet with an academic coach until April 24 and join tutoring groups or attend supplemental instruction sessions through Dead Week. 

In preparation for finals, ASC posted a final exam preparation video that covers finals logistics, study schedules, study strategies and final testing prioritization.