ISU PD suspends SafeRide service due to coronavirus concerns

The Office of the President releases new information regarding masks, vaccinations and how the fall 2021 semester will look.

Alexander Gray

The ISU Police Department (ISU PD) will be suspending its SafeRide services, ride-alongs and fingerprinting services due to growing concerns over COVID-19, according to a statement on Twitter this morning.

ISU PD will continue to have dispatchers answering phones and police officers responding to calls for service, according to the thread of tweets.

“Like many folks, most employees in police departments do not have the luxury of working from home,” ISU PD said in a tweet. “We are implementing additional precautions, & continue to evaluate the need and availability for more, to prevent the spread of this virus & safeguard our employees and community.”

SafeRide is a service for students and visitors on campus to request a ride during overnight and evening hours, according to the ISU PD’s website.

CyRide will continue to operate its full transit schedule as published with the exception of the 23 Orange Route, which will run at a reduced frequency while Iowa State’s courses are moved online between March 23 and April 3, according to a post on CyRide’s website.

Chris Crippen, assistant director for operations for CyRide, said CyRide will evaluate their plans for bus services after Spring Break next week. 

“As of right now, we’re not planning on cutting anything yet,” Crippen said.