Stugov to give Faculty Senate input on US Diversity credit requirement

Iowa State University Student Government Senate taking a placard vote during the Nov. 3 weekly meeting.

Ryan Bussert

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated four diversity objectives are required at Iowa State University, and the university was considering adding more. The article has since been corrected. The Daily regrets these errors. 

Iowa State University President of the Student Body Julia Campbell will send out a survey to gather student perspectives on how many U.S. diversity objectives should be required to qualify as a U.S. Diversity course.

The Iowa State Faculty Senate has deliberated the number of required objectives during the September and October meetings. The U.S. diversity ad-hoc committee from the Faculty Senate is conducting a feasibility implementation study to determine the impacts of the new U.S. Diversity requirement on students and instructors. Campbell said the survey she is sending to constituents will ask students how many course objectives should be required for a class qualify as a U.S Diversity course. Currently three of the four objectives are required.

Campbell spoke of what she will speak about at the Board of Regents meeting on Nov. 4. 

The Board of Regents will include University of Iowa, University of Northern Iowa and Iowa State University leaders and primarily be focused on mental health among students and student employment.

The Iowa State University Government voted to pass $636 to the Multicultural Greek Council to fund a student formal for all multicultural organizations on campus.

According to their website, the Multicultural Greek Council was created as a vehicle to improve and create dialogue and cooperation between parallel-goaled organizations. Membership includes fraternities and sororities that have an element of diversity as the foundation of their membership.

The funds will go towards the Multicultural Greek Formal on Dec. 4.

The Student Government passed a bill to fund the Gaming and Esports Club for transportation to an esports tournament in Chicago called Lakeside Showdown.

Lakeside Showdown is a 2-day event taking place on  Nov. 13 to Nov. 14 with 16 teams attending. It is a double elimination tournament in Overwatch, a 6 v. 6 first person shooter game, with the winner earning up to $2,000

The Student Government voted to fund $186.81 to the Iowa State University Swim Club for transportation to their swim meet on Nov. 6 to Nov. 7.

The funds will be used to acquire an additional maxi-van to transport their members to the meet in Madison, Wis.